Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:16 PM   #1

Default SB-80DX/800 Diffusion dome question

I read on here somewhere last night about the flash unit locking at 14mm when the diffusion dome is mounted on it, but I can't remember why that was and can't locate the post I found it in. Can someone enlighten me? (I think the question was actually about the SB-80DX but I just got the SB-800 and it does the same thing.)
motownflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:40 PM   #2

well most strobes when the head is angled for bounce (which is when the diffuser is used) the function of the flash zoom is defeated and at the widest angle for best diffusion output.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:31 PM   #3

That makes sense, thanks. This is my first experience with a speedlight so I've got a lot to learn - these things are powerful!

On another note though, I bought this thing on eBay and ended up getting an imported unit when I thought I was buying a Nikon USA model. Not very happy about that - it was not represented as a grey market product in the listing. The seller had perfect feedback, yet he wasn't representing the units for what they were - grey market. I can't believe none of the buyers before me had made note of that fact. So since I now have a unit that can't be registered or serviced by Nikon......where do you guys recommend taking grey market products for repair/servicing? Hopefully I never need it but just in case, it'd be good to know.
motownflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:36 PM   #4

my opinion of ebay is less then stellar. i gotta tell you that Nikon USA will not service the product under warranty. but generally you should have no problems with it in the first year.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote