Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:46 PM   #11

I did a check on my D7000 and lo behold, I have more than just a few dots appearing now. It most certainly isnt dust. I'll send mine for service too. This certainly is a shame.

Zee

Name:  DSC_2295.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  28.5 KB
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:44 PM   #12

Hi Bynx & Zeshane,

D7000 is in my shopping list. Please keep posting further info.

Thanks

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:08 PM   #13

Zeshane, your spots seem to cover a broad area over the image. From my image and others Ive seen the right side carries most of the spots with a few spread out over the rest of the area. But they are similar in looks to the dark ones you have circled. I dont think if its an oil problem that it will go away on its own. Once the oil is on the sensor it will only harden and get gummy and stick there. It will take a bit of scrubbing which I dont think the sensor is up to. I just hope that once my camera comes back this problem doesnt reoccur. Ujefrocnrol dont let this glitch change your mind about the camera. It is a beauty.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:31 PM   #14

Bynx's problem (oil) is one that I would definately send my camera to the
manufacturer for cleaning but for normal sensor cleaning it's not that hard
to just do it yourself...

See here:

http://sensorswab.com/video/sensorswab.html

I myself would be sure to use air to blow out excess dust first before doing
the wet cleaning part... DO NOT BLOW IT OUT WITH YOUR BREATH...!

Dust on the sensor is common... See what it says at the bottom of this
page about zoom lenses and dust on the sensor...

http://www.2filter.com/prices/produc...sor_Swabs.html

I normally deal with this place for my lens filters and cleaning products...

Hope that's helpful to someone...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Aug 24, 2011 at 7:35 PM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:52 PM   #15

I have heard of this in some other cases, and coupled with Nikon's fairly cavalier attitude to warranties it would really put me off the camera. Just suppose you were in a place like Belize where getting it to Nikon was not a trivial matter, and you couldn't get it to them inside the warranty period. What then?

I'll tell you "what then". If Nikon's approach to lens problems is anything to go by (several people here have had major problems with Nikkor lenses) they simply shut off once the warranty has expired and refuse to help. Contrast that with Canon's approach which is to bend over backwards to help regardless of whether the warranty is current or not, and I know which brand I'd choose. Interestingly, all my Canon lenses stand up to the harsh climate here very well, but as I said Nikkor ones don't seem to do so well.

Regardless of what I've said above, it doesn't speak well for the care used in manufacture if the lubricant used is even capable of splashing. What happens if you take the camera to the Tropics, where the lubricant gets warm and even less viscous? I would be terrified of owning that camera.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:53 AM   #16

Canon isn't immune to oil on sensors either...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1223&bih=592&q=canon+oi l+on+sensor&oq=canon+oil+on+sensor&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql =&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=406l9594l0l11731l19l19l0l5l5l1l51 5l2263l3-1.3.1l5l0

Dirt or contaminants on sensors is just a fact of owning digital... In the film days
every shot was on a fresh frame because you advanced the film so you would never
build up spots... The solution to dirt on sensors...? Learn to clean them...! I posted
a link to a video on how to do it above, it's easy...!

I have a few dust spots on my sensor which is normal, especially if you use telescoping
zoom lenses (read the info from the link I provided in my previous post above), but I do
not have any oil splatter... The oil on "SOME" D7k sensors is simply an unfortunate
circumstance that occasionally happens in the manufacturing process, even to Canon...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Aug 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:05 AM   #17

The difference is that it can be extremely difficult if not impossible to get oil off a sensor, even supposing it hasn't chemically combined with the surface and left a permanent mark. When I bought my 5D I was plagued with dirt on the sensor for the first few months, and had to wet clean it frequently. Then it settled down - the dirt inside the camera from manufacturing had probably gone - and so long as I follow sensible lens-changing techniques I now rarely have any such problems. I did that for myself down here in Belize. I didn't have any oil problems, but if I had had I would probably have had to ship the camera back to Canon, an extremely expensive and rather hazardous exercise. Fortunately I was spared that. I also found no oil on the sensor when I bought my 7D, and in fact I've never had to clean that.

What worries me about Nikon is the experiences of several people here with (mainly) lenses and Nikon's service facilities. They have not been good experiences. And I've heard now of at least half a dozen D7000s with oil problems.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
What worries me about Nikon is the experiences of several people here with (mainly) lenses and Nikon's service facilities. They have not been good experiences. And I've heard now of at least half a dozen D7000s with oil problems.
I understand that but it's not a Nikon or a D7k exclusive problem... There
were some Canon 5D, 7D, etc, etc, etc, that also had problems with oil as
well... Canon even issued a statement about it that they would clean effected
cameras for free... Check results at that link I provided...! You simply lucked
out that you didn't get one...

Any camera that uses a mirror that flips can have this problem happen...
It's NOT exclusive to any one brand or model and singling out Nikon or
the D7k is completely misleading and inaccurate... There are more D7k's
that don't have an oil problem than those that do, just like it is with the
Canons... Brand bashing is totally uncalled for...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Aug 26, 2011 at 3:00 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:14 PM   #19

Sorry, I'm not intending to brand-bash. I may well buy the D700 replacement. But nonetheless on servicing I have found Canon to be superb and various friends have not had the same experience with Nikon. That may not matter when you're in the USA or Europe, but it sure does when you're in a 3rd world country!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Sorry, I'm not intending to brand-bash. I may well buy the D700 replacement. But nonetheless on servicing I have found Canon to be superb and various friends have not had the same experience with Nikon. That may not matter when you're in the USA or Europe, but it sure does when you're in a 3rd world country!
I can totally understand your concern if locally you don't get good service
for one brand or another, I'd be concerned as well...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Aug 25, 2011 at 6:00 PM.