Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:30 PM   #31

Bynx

When I got mine back the sensor was totally clean. This is what I would expect from a Nikon service. It is just possible them marks appeared when you took the 1st test photos .

If it wasnt a 10 hour round trip to the nearest Nikon Service Center I would be on their doorstep with camera and evidence!

Attached 2 pictures, the first is after I came back from holiday and the 2nd is from last week when I found the oil appearing again.
Attached Images

Last edited by The Mole; Sep 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM.
The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:50 PM   #32

Your first example was shot at f13. Had you shot at f22 those shadowy spots would be solid black. Similarly, I have all or most of the spotting appearing on the right side like you do. I dont know the reason for this. If it was random dust, why does it appear mostly on the right side? As for hired people here to talk against the issue I dont know how you could ever prove that. I just leave it to some people who like to take any view at all as long as its opposite to what is posted. The spotting is a frustrating one because while under warranty I hesitate to touch or go anywhere near the film covering the sensor. Here is full frame image showing where the spotting occurs on my camera.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:53 PM   #33

this really sucks i will post this on nikons fb wall and see what they say or should i say not . they are getting rather good at not answering customers questions lately
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:23 AM   #34

I think this should be everywhere. Thats the only way things get done is when lots of people react instead of a lone soul trying to get justice.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:30 AM   #35

I don't own one of these cameras or indeed any Nikon, but I do find this episode a little off-putting.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:24 AM   #36

Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to dslrs (the d7000 being my first!) although i used to shoot film Nikon and Pentax dlsrs many moons ago. Unfortunately my fantastic D7000, which i bought in May is possibly showing the dreaded oil disease. There is the possibility that the spots are also caused by condensation that formed on existing dust particles as i did have 2 trips out to the west coast but took good care of the camera (but where the heck did SO much dust come from?? I highly doubt it is dust). I have followed this forum with interest. My spots look much like the ones posted by Bynx. Youshould see them at f/32 - quite scary!! But sadly, they show on my pics even occasionally at bigger apertures like f/8
My first course of action was to phone Nikon Canada who informed me that the d7000 does NOT have oil issues……great start….
At any rate, for now, i have brought the camera to the authorized dealer here in town, who will clean the sensor. The tech i spoke with says if it is oil it will come back. It is a problem seen often in digital slrs according to him. However, i have decided that if the problem recurs, i will send it into Nikon - i have over a year and a half of warranty. I'm thinking that maybe by now they are starting to get parts in to replace oil spewing mirror assemblies (perhaps this was an issue before due to earthquake and so they only cleaned the sensors? who knows) Also have heardvia rumour mill that the new copies don't do this….sucks to be us i guess. Incidentally, my serial number starts with 50xxxxx - i've hear ones starting with the 60s are still having the probem
If anyone has good news or updates, i'd love to hear it.

Last edited by newdslruser; Oct 27, 2011 at 12:27 AM.
newdslruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:26 AM   #37

i put it on nikons wall via facebook but as usual went un answered
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:27 PM   #38

My Canon 5D was full of sh*t when I bought it, and for several months I had to clean the sensor every week or so. Then it suddenly stopped and it's never done it since, so it must have been crud in the camera during manufacture. Made doubly worse because the 5D doesn't have auto sensor cleaning. But the crud was just dust, and I never found any oil. My 7D has never needed cleaning in eight months.

Most people I know here (an island in the Caribbean) use Nikon, with D90 being the hot favourite. Interestingly one has just bought a D300S, after considering the D7k and rejecting it. Only a few seem to use Canon (I'm only thinking of DSLR users). Across the board the Nikon owners seem not to get the same level of service that Canon ones do - I have had three compacts (each containing a defective Sony-made sensor) and my 5D repaired, all well outside warranty, all totally free including shipping. I've used my "L" lenses outside for almost five years with no problems (well, I dropped my 24-105 on a trip to Boston recently, and I had to pay for that repair), yet I know one person whose Nikon body failed (a PCB, affecting metering, focussing, everything) who had to pay for the repair and three people whose Nikkor lenses (including two 80-400s, which are supposedly pro-class and are pretty pricey) failed with fungus inside. In every case Nikon refused to help in any way, and the owners had to pay full replacement costs. Seems to me that in terms of after-sales service Nikon trails Canon quite badly.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:47 PM   #39

Ive got mine back again and it has apparently been stripped down and cleaned, will report on whether this has worked, the shop has promissed a replacement if it happens again.

When I took it to the shop you could see oil on the right hand side of the mirror frame (looking from the front of the camera) where it has probably leaked from the release mechanisum no oil on the left hand side. This explains the mess appearing on the only one side of the sensor.
The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:29 PM   #40

Im wondering if when looking at the front of the camera at the sensor is the left side of the sensor the right of the image?