Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:22 PM   #41

I've been getting a lot of this too. same with my brother who also owns a D7000. sensor cleaning here in brazil probably costs way more than I'd be willing to pay, so... I'm definitely learning how to clean it myself.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Im wondering if when looking at the front of the camera at the sensor is the left side of the sensor the right of the image?
I'm no expert, just drawing on some "common" sense, when the image is formed on the sensor, I believe it is upside down, thus changing right and left as well. Hmmmm? Or does it?

So could your oil spots indeed be coming from the opposite side?

My Flickr
-Robert-

Last edited by Hawgwild; Oct 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:27 PM   #43

I purchased my Nikon D7000 in late January 2011, it is my first digital SLR
and is my pride and joy.
However, after about 30 shots I was horrified to see these little dark spots appearing on the right hand side of my photo’s which was particularly evident when taking blue skies.
I didn’t take the camera back immediately (which was my big mistake), but tried to persevere with it for a couple of months.
As the spots were clearly getting worse and as it was still under guarantee, I took the camera into the shop where I purchased it.
I was told immediately that this was a common problem with Digital SLR’s and it was purely dust on the sensor.
Because I was new to DSLR’s, I just took this as the norm.
They sent the camera away to Nikon and advised even though the camera was under guarantee, Nikon may charge for the sensor to be cleaned.
Four weeks later the camera arrived back with a Nikon service report which simply said SENSOR CLEANED and NO CHARGE.
I continued to use the camera, although I am not a heavy user and never change the standard Nikon lens that came with the camera.
About a month or so later, I noticed the spots on the right hand side again.
This time I spoke to the manager of the shop and he advised me to use JUST DUST AID PLATINUM SENSOR CLEANING KIT.
I tried the cleaning kit but it never even touched the little spots on the sensor.
After doing a little research on the web last Friday, I discovered that there were many of other people having the same problems and that it was possibly oil from the mirror mechanism that was causing it.
I took the camera back today and explained all of the above.
Firstly the shop assistant tried to clean the sensor with a PEC-PAD and ECLIPSE CLEANING FLUID.
This partially worked, however he agreed that this wasn’t dust and was some kind of sticky substance.
He said he would speak to the local Nikon Rep. and I have left the camera with them to be either repaired or replaced.
If anyone has any advice, please reply.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:20 PM   #44

Seems like you have done all you can do. Hopefully the tech will remove the excess oil substance that is flying on the sensor so it wont happen again. Its one thing to deal with day to day dust that might be there, but the problems we have here are far more than that. Im getting really pissed at my camera after coming back with most of the spots gone and replaced with a large one. Now there are more again. Obviously the guy just gave the sensor a swipe or two and then went for a smoke leaving me with the problem unsolved.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:10 PM   #45

This really is NOT impressive. For someone who was seriously contemplating changing brands it is a SERIOUS turnoff. I bought my 7D at around the same time as this D7k was purchased and I have not so much as a speck appear on any images. I had a lot of trouble with dust on the sensor of my 5D during the first few months after I bought it, but no more now and I've never had a problem with the 7D. With a product costing as much as a D7k this is not acceptable. There's been a fair amount of talk about this over at POTN, with too many people saying "it's just one of those things and happens with all new cameras". IMO it isn't and doesn't.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:41 AM   #46

In any mass manufactured process glitches can occur. I have my D7000 and am happy with it. Do I like the few spots Ive got....NO. But I dont regret getting the camera. So far I have been able to overcome the problem with Photoshop. But I am going to talk with Nikon tomorrow if I remember. Ive been meaning to do that for a few weeks now but it keeps slipping my mind until the next pic I have to touch up. The problem only seems to have happened to a run of the beginning bodies until it was recognized. Is it serious enough for a recall? Well as far as I know Nikon doesnt recognize the problem. But they are cleaning them for free no questions asked.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:01 PM   #47

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I side with Peter on this issue. For the cost of a D7000, I would not expect to see such a prevalent issue; if I was a customer that had to deal with it, I'd be upset to say the least.

Having said that, I realize that manufacturing issues occur even at the best of companies (e.g. recently at Toyota). The issue however is how a company responds. Do they go above and beyond the call of duty to take care of their customers? With as many reported incidents, I think it would be appropriate for Nikon to have issued a voluntary recall, and offered some compensation (i.e. cash or kind) to make up for the incovnenience. Good companies, I find consistently do the following: (a) Take ownership (b) Apologize (c) Make ammends. Doesn't seem like Nikon has risen to these standards....as yet! Just my 2 cents worth...
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:18 PM   #48

Nice timing wingman, because your post here prompted me to phone Nikon. I talked with the service rep and he apologized for what they didnt do the first time......fix the problem. He assures me it will be done and emailed me a shipping label. I dropped it off at Purolator rather than wait for them to come to me. So now its in their hands. Camera like new or a new camera.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:21 AM   #49

my D7000 got oil spot also (3mos old) no support here from nikon because i leave on a 3rd world country

Last edited by Slyfox; Nov 21, 2011 at 5:32 AM.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:51 AM   #50

And that's the problem. I also live in a 3rd world country and reliability is crucial. I get that from Canon, and friends with Nikons often don't.