Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:06 PM   #51

Since Nikon received my camera last Wednesday at 11:30 am I decided to give them a call today to see the situation. I was informed that the camera is now in pieces and the technician was working on it and I can expect to have it back by Thursday, Friday latest. That was good news to me. Now lets see if they can deliver. I was pleased to hear they just didnt simply wipe off the sensor like they did the first time. With my luck oil wont splash on the senor any more, but it will probably sqeek like crazy.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:01 AM   #52

Ive just returned back from a holiday in Australia, 1st day into taking photos and the oil spots have started to return, the only pictures that come out clear are thouse taken under f10!

The camera will be going back for the 3rd time.
The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:06 AM   #53

Oh dear! I see a warning here for potential purchasers.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:19 AM   #54

I got my camera back first thing Monday morning. So far so good. I was told they replaced the whole mirror mechanism causing the problem. I hope they are right.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 4:35 PM   #55

I would like to share to all Photography Enthusiast about the current dilemma I am in. The images in this album are shot with a Nikon D7000
mounted with an 18-200 VRII lens, Aperture Priority Mode @ f8, f/11, f/16 and f/22 stops. I was devasted to have noticed upon downloading the shots on my computer I noticed black spots/dots on the upper right hand corner of the images particularly (you can also see some on the upper left and mid left areas). I have spoken with Nikon NZ (TA Mcalister) and they acknowledge that some of the D7000 units have these problem. It is clear they have failed to inform consumers and are trying as much as they could to keep their mouth shut about this until someone like me and my friend come in to complain. So to those who are planning to get a DSLR and into photography I strongly recommend not getting the D7000 until Nikon goes public with this. This is a worldwide problem and I have been communicating with Pro & Amateur Photographers on the internet and they said hundreds if not thousands are already affected with the D7000 oil deposits problem, even them. No one in this lifetime would spend $3500 for a camera that will haunt you for the rest of your photography days. I highly commend Nikon NZ (TA Mcalister) for the acknowlegdement of the problem as some other parts of the world, they keep lying to consumers and isolate this issue as much as they could. Good on you Nikon NZ and hopefully I'll get a new D7000 that does not have this problem or if you cannot guarantee that, give me my $3500 back thank you.
xcalibur7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:16 AM   #56

A new replacement camera has been ordered and should be with me in the next few days, I cannot fault the service I have recieved from the camera shop however I think the Nikon Service in the UK is rubish.

Its a real shame the photos this camera produces are very good, I have now got 2 holidays worth of pictures that have oil marks on them.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:08 PM   #57

Ya thats a bummer Mole, but after they have addressed the problem properly by replacing the problem part you will continue to love your D7000. Also the spots are only really noticeable if you shot with small aperture like f18 or f22. I just got my camera back and so far everything is just fine.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:24 PM   #58

There's nothing special about a DSLR. I've had SLR's of a variety of brands for decades and to the best of my knowledge I've never had oil coming off the mirror or shutter mechanisms. It's quite easy to use a lubricant that works but doesn't spray. How come Nikon have this problem, and apparently just with this model? Are they just squirting a bit of 3-in-1 at it in the hope that some will stick? Sounds very amateurish to me.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:00 PM   #59

Yes I still get a buzz using this camera especially if the photo I take comes out as I expected, Im more frustrated as I like to take photos with slow shutter speeds and small apatures

Its all in the detail for me.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:58 AM   #60

Default Ruined my day at Singapore Airshow 2012

Oh, oh, oh how I wish I had seen these posts (and noticed these spots) before shooting 1500 otherwise nice pictures at the Singapore Airshow today.
jcutter is offline   Reply With Quote