Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2011, 5:25 AM   #1
NHL

Default Nikon also goes 'mirror less'

It looks like Nikon is also going to jump on this bandwagon to protect its market share:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...elco-SP&rpc=43
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:47 PM   #2

It will be interesting to follow the progress of the mirrorless cameras in the years to come. Some people are predicting the end of the DSLR but there will have to be quantum improvements in LCD and EVF technology to replace the OVF. Cameras without an EVF must also be hard to hold properly with long telephoto lenses and those with sensors smaller than APS-C may be more suseptable to noise. Or will DSLRs as we know them now occupy a nitch similar to medium format with the mirrorless in between DSLR and P&S cameras?
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:02 PM   #3
Administrator

Yea... isn't change fun? ;-)

As a Sony A700 user, I find myself burdened with mixed feelings over it's replacement (the new Sony A77), since the A77 is using Sony's new SLT design with a "translucent" mirror in the light path. Sure, the a77 is faster and allows better AF tracking (because the AF sensors can always "see" without any mirror blackout entering the equation). The new EVF design also appears to be a real winner compared to previous models.

But, at the same time, if the "Translucent Mirror" was not in the way (robbing the imaging sensor of around 1/2 stop of light), Image Quality would have been better.

Of course, Sony has an answer for that with the new NEX-7, as it has no mirror at all, translucent or otherwise. But, then lens choices are limited without using adapters (and to Sony's credit, they do have some that allow use of existing Minolta/Alpha mount lenses with full metering and Autofocus).

But, part of me wishes that Sony had released a new A700 replacement using a traditional mirror design instead. Frankly, I'm also wondering if 24MP in an APS-C size sensor is smart choice. Sure, for marketing purposes, more megapixels is better. ;-) But, I can't help but wonder if they should have used the existing 16MP sensor instead.

I'll refrain from passing judgment until I have a chance to use the new models (hopefully, very soon). But, at this point, I'm wondering if my needs would be better served with the Sony A580 instead (which looks like it's going to be the last dSLR Sony makes using a traditional "flipping mirror" design from what I can see of their current direction, since the IQ from the 16MP CMOS sensor it uses would be a step up from the 12MP Sensor in my A700, and that's something I'm not sure the A77's 24MP Sensor will provide at this point, even though the A77 will have superior Autofocus, frame rate, build quality, etc.).

IOW, if Sony would have released an A700 replacement with a new AF sensor assembly and faster processing using the existing 16MP CMOS Sensor (as used by the Sony A580, Nikon D5100, Nikon D7000 and Pentax K5), upgrading to it from my A700 would have been a "no brainer". But, since the new A77 model has some potential drawbacks (24MP Sensor which may be too many pixels in an APS-C size sensor requiring much higher lens quality with potential diffraction and noise issues, especially given a translucent mirror in the light path), my upgrade path is very "muddy". But, again, I'll refrain from passing judgment until I have a chance to use the new Sony models (perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised, perhaps not).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 5:22 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
It looks like Nikon is also going to jump on this bandwagon to protect its market share:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...elco-SP&rpc=43
BTW, you saw Nikon's response, right?

http://www.nikon.com/news/2011/0909_01.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
BTW, you saw Nikon's response, right?

http://www.nikon.com/news/2011/0909_01.htm
Those 2 sentences hardly refute the Reuters "scoop" by reminding people the have not made an announcement. Wouldn't be a scoop after the fact would it...just one of multiple sources repoting the same thing.

Everything will probably be resolved Sept 21st as Nikon has scheduled a press event in China, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Romania and Germany.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:51 PM   #6

Nikon finally deciding to release a mirrorless camera isn't surprising at all.
The sales figures of mirrorless cameras are just too compelling to ignore any further.

No doubt, their cameras(s) will be accepted by the same people, who up until now scoffed at the mirrorless concept because they didn't have the correct name on the body.

But, from my perspective, Nikon joining the fray, just reinforces the fact that people want a small camera that is relatively simple to use with greater flexibility in terms of lens choices than what is available in the form of P&S
cameras. It also reinforces the fact that Nikon and Canon have to face reality that their P&S users are going elsewhere.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yea... isn't change fun? ;-)

As a Sony A700 user, I find myself burdened with mixed feelings over it's replacement (the new Sony A77), since the A77 is using Sony's new SLT design with a "translucent" mirror in the light path. Sure, the a77 is faster and allows better AF tracking (because the AF sensors can always "see" without any mirror blackout entering the equation). The new EVF design also appears to be a real winner compared to previous models.

But, at the same time, if the "Translucent Mirror" was not in the way (robbing the imaging sensor of around 1/2 stop of light), Image Quality would have been better.

Of course, Sony has an answer for that with the new NEX-7, as it has no mirror at all, translucent or otherwise. But, then lens choices are limited without using adapters (and to Sony's credit, they do have some that allow use of existing Minolta/Alpha mount lenses with full metering and Autofocus).

But, part of me wishes that Sony had released a new A700 replacement using a traditional mirror design instead. Frankly, I'm also wondering if 24MP in an APS-C size sensor is smart choice. Sure, for marketing purposes, more megapixels is better. ;-) But, I can't help but wonder if they should have used the existing 16MP sensor instead.

I'll refrain from passing judgment until I have a chance to use the new models (hopefully, very soon). But, at this point, I'm wondering if my needs would be better served with the Sony A580 instead (which looks like it's going to be the last dSLR Sony makes using a traditional "flipping mirror" design from what I can see of their current direction, since the IQ from the 16MP CMOS sensor it uses would be a step up from the 12MP Sensor in my A700, and that's something I'm not sure the A77's 24MP Sensor will provide at this point, even though the A77 will have superior Autofocus, frame rate, build quality, etc.).

IOW, if Sony would have released an A700 replacement with a new AF sensor assembly and faster processing using the existing 16MP CMOS Sensor (as used by the Sony A580, Nikon D5100, Nikon D7000 and Pentax K5), upgrading to it from my A700 would have been a "no brainer". But, since the new A77 model has some potential drawbacks (24MP Sensor which may be too many pixels in an APS-C size sensor requiring much higher lens quality with potential diffraction and noise issues, especially given a translucent mirror in the light path), my upgrade path is very "muddy". But, again, I'll refrain from passing judgment until I have a chance to use the new Sony models (perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised, perhaps not).
Hi Jim,

I frankly think, you're right with respect to the sensor.

With the release of the latest batch of (3) Sony cameras, all employing the the same 24mp sensor, many people will read the great reviews on these cameras and go out and buy one only to be disappointed by the results. That is, unless they read the entire review and realize that the sensor is going to outresolve the standard 'kit lens'.

It will be a situation where, unless you're willing to spend the funds necessary to get hi-quality lenses, you're probably buying the wrong camera.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote