Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:05 PM   #11

The Nikkor 18-105 isn't a bad lens, buit if you want something better, the Nikkor 16-85 is a good choice, though it does vignette a lot at 16mm. Macro lenses like the Nikkor 105/2.8 and 85/3.5 usually also make nice portrait lenses. Also, some people like the kinds of portraits they get from 24-70/2.8 and 28-75/2.8 lenses.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Nikkor 18-105 isn't a bad lens, buit if you want something better, the Nikkor 16-85 is a good choice, though it does vignette a lot at 16mm. Macro lenses like the Nikkor 105/2.8 and 85/3.5 usually also make nice portrait lenses. Also, some people like the kinds of portraits they get from 24-70/2.8 and 28-75/2.8 lenses.
I agree with TCav's assessment.

As an all around lens, the 16-85mm is a good performer. I tend to shoot a lot of landscapes, so for me, I'd take care of the wide end with a 12-24mm F4 DX lens. That would do two things for me give me a greater angle of view and help reduce the vignetting. For added focal length, the 70-200mm f2.8 VR would be my choice.
As for Macro, as stated before, the 105mm f2.8 is a good choice. Albeit, the 70-200mm f2.8 could also give you excellent close up images of bugs, etc.
And, you would have less chance of spooking your subject b eause you'd be that much further away.

Hope that helps.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:06 PM   #13

Thank you for your input

Lee
Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:28 PM   #14
Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Well, if I drove you crazy with my response, Dig, I was trying to raise some awareness on the part of the person who raised the question in the first place
not you.

Quite frankly, unless you live under a rock, most everyone already is aware that the D7000 is a better camera than the D90. But then again, so is a D700, and D3S. So what.
Unless the poster elaborates on why he would like to upgrade, telling them yes doesn't really benefit the person asking the question.

I always thought that the point of these forums was to ask a question and then some one would respond with an answer that might provoke them to think about what it is they really want to accomplish.

If all you want is a yes. why bother to ask the question? just do it.

AND, if you notice, the poster stated that they currently have the 18-105mm kit lens along with the 50mm f1.8 lens. Not exactly barn burners.

The 16mp sensor of the D7000 has the capacity to outresolve both those lenses. So why buy a D7000 then stick on an average lens on it.

How does that improve on what he has?

Oh, and by the way, I did answer his question If you read my first sentence.
I said: If you got the money by all means go and get it.

So, other than that, I have no really strong feelings on the subject.

Zig
Hi Zig:

No worries I kept a little sanity. My point is simply that as the digital cameras evolve they are getting better and easier to make a good picture. Now I know that there are many who will argue that it is the eye of the photographer that makes the picture and I do not necessarily disagree.

As I said many times some of the best photographs ever taken are with non digital cameras years ago. But my point is that we are here today not in the 1940s so we have to deal with what we have.

Digital cameras are making it easier for more people to get involved in photography which also gives us many more levels of photographer. The point is if you are good enough to own an D90 you must have a fair understanding of photography.

The original post was "I have been contemplating the upgrade from my D90 to the D7000". So from this I must assume the individual has more than average knowledge of photography.

So the D7000 is a great step upward. It has many more focus points, lower noise at higher iso, better color depth, more dynamic range, just to name a few things.

What this all means given the same photographer using the same lens with the only change being the camera, the end result photograph should be better. Does it make you a better photographer, no! But it will give you better photographs.

Its like saying if I am driving a 2000 car will buying a 2012 car make you a better driver, no not necessarily BUT givin the same roads you will find that many of the new 2012 features will keep you safer, more comfortable, etc.

Anyway this is all I was trying to say.
Have a great day!
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I have been contemplating the upgrade from my D90 to the D7000. I would like to get your thoughts on this if you don't mind. I value the vast knowledge of the people on this forum.
I have a D90 and I upgraded to a D7000.
I love my D90 but it had its limits on what I do.
It all depends on what you shoot. I shoot a lot of HS sports.
So the D7000 was a better camera and has what I needed for what I could afford. It was a great upgrade for me.
Yes it has helped take better pictures but again I'm shooting sports.
So if your shooting fast action yes, if not then spend the money on better lenses.
Here's a couple post on pics done with my D7000.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...hot-burst.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...irst-game.html
aced19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:09 AM   #16

Well I went ahead and picked up a D7000, it's going to take some getting used to, but so far i really like it.

Lee
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:04 PM   #17

Also, if you evolve into video, the D7000 (and D5100) are far superior to the D90. It was great in that it got the concept of DSLR video going, but the newer models built on it's shortcomings and set a new level.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 5:37 AM   #18

My dad just got a D7000 a little while ago. He upgraded from a D70 which was totally worth it. I have had a D90 for a few years. I personally would not consider it enough of an upgrade from the D90 to spend the money right now. The body and slightly higher useable ISO is nice but not enough to make me get my wallet out. I'll be waiting for the next gen. I do agree with Tizeye though...If you like video...there is no question...upgrade!

Last edited by shutterbug1076; Oct 14, 2011 at 5:39 AM.
shutterbug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:44 AM   #19

Dont be cheap, pull your wallet out and buy a D7000. Great little camera. Your pics wont improve though if you stick a lensbaby on it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Your pics wont improve though if you stick a lensbaby on it.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote