Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:26 PM   #1

Default D90 to D7000

I have been contemplating the upgrade from my D90 to the D7000. I would like to get your thoughts on this if you don't mind. I value the vast knowledge of the people on this forum.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:03 PM   #2

What do you want to do that you can't do with your D90?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:07 PM   #3

Thats a good question. Nothing really that I can't do with the D90, i was just thinking newer technology , better sensor, and so on.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:09 PM   #4

I think the D7000 is a very good camera based on the discussions that I have followed. I don't have one, I have a D90 and a D40. I think the D90 is unquestionably a better and more versatile camera. However, it didn't make me a better photographer and my images aren't incredibly better than the ones I take with my D40. If you are going to upgrade for the sake of getting "better" images you might hold on for a while until you want to do more than what your present camera is capable of doing. Don't misunderstand, I'm really glad that I have the D90. But the D40 is still an excellent camera. As a disclaimer, I'm not one to scrutinize images at 100% magnification or greater trying to decide which one is the sharpest or has the greatest dynamic range. To me, it just isn't worth it. If the camera can take a good picture that's all that matters to me. I know, not much help. If you just have to have that D7000 then go for it. If I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's a good camera. But so is the D90. And after the newness has worn off and you're down to just taking pictures and not comparing I think you'll find that either one will satisfy your needs.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:36 PM   #5

The D7000 is a big improvement over the D90. If you were deciding between buying one or the other, and you were up for it, I'd say get the D7000. But since you already have a D90, and appear to be satisfied with it, I'd say wait for the next one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:12 PM   #6

If you have the cash and want to get a D7000 for the heck of it, it is your money, you should get what you want.

But, if you would like to improve the image quality of the photographs that you take and somehow feel that getting the D7000 would accomplish that. You may want to reconsider and evaluate your shooting style, the type of photography you enjoy and/or what you feel might actually need improvement.

A couple of months ago, I evaluated my equipment, what I felt was the shortcomings and what needed to be replaced. I actually bought a refurbished D90.
With the money I saved, I bought a far superior lens, the 70-200mm f2.8VR.

If you want to really be happy with the output of your camera, give it the best lens you can buy. That's where your greatest return will be.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:58 PM   #7
Dig

Get rid of all your cameras and just get an updated cell phone with a good camera on it. The iPhone has a 5mp camera that some people use professionally to take great fotos. The HTC EVO has a 3d camera..great possibilities there.

Of course I am somewhat kidding. I had a D80 and a D90 and recently bought a D7000 and feel it is the best choice. I feel that if I had to choose again between the D90 and D7000 I would choose the D7000.

All this stuff about maybe you need to improve your photography, or buy better lenses or whatever is always the answer to the which camera is better question drives me crazy.

One way to answer this is to take your memory card and even your lens to a camera store and take a dozen pictures or so with their camera and take the card home and look at the pictures. Heck take your present camera with you and take side by side photos with your camera and the new camera using your lens and memory card and when you get home you can see the difference.

The D7000 is a remarkable camera and better than the D90. Will it help you take better pictures, hmmm maybe. Sometimes there are features available on the newer camera that can help you take better pictures.

In any event I think that if someone asks which camera I think we should answer the question and not tell them to stay with that they have and just be a better photographer. IMHO.

Just remember some of the best photographs ever take were taken with non digital, non automatic cameras.
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:41 PM   #8

Default A simple way to life

I recently bought a BMW X5 , but today i like the x9 ,
Would it get me where i want to go faster, would i be more comfortable, would i be a happier person.
We all have only one life to live, we work hard for our money.
Would i buy the x9 , most likely

Dave
Nikontrini
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig View Post

All this stuff about maybe you need to improve your photography, or buy better lenses or whatever is always the answer to the which camera is better question drives me crazy.

One way to answer this is to take your memory card and even your lens to a camera store and take a dozen pictures or so with their camera and take the card home and look at the pictures. Heck take your present camera with you and take side by side photos with your camera and the new camera using your lens and memory card and when you get home you can see the difference.

The D7000 is a remarkable camera and better than the D90. Will it help you take better pictures, hmmm maybe. Sometimes there are features available on the newer camera that can help you take better pictures.

In any event I think that if someone asks which camera I think we should answer the question and not tell them to stay with that they have and just be a better photographer. IMHO.

Just remember some of the best photographs ever take were taken with non digital, non automatic cameras.
Well, if I drove you crazy with my response, Dig, I was trying to raise some awareness on the part of the person who raised the question in the first place
not you.

Quite frankly, unless you live under a rock, most everyone already is aware that the D7000 is a better camera than the D90. But then again, so is a D700, and D3S. So what.
Unless the poster elaborates on why he would like to upgrade, telling them yes doesn't really benefit the person asking the question.

I always thought that the point of these forums was to ask a question and then some one would respond with an answer that might provoke them to think about what it is they really want to accomplish.

If all you want is a yes. why bother to ask the question? just do it.

AND, if you notice, the poster stated that they currently have the 18-105mm kit lens along with the 50mm f1.8 lens. Not exactly barn burners.

The 16mp sensor of the D7000 has the capacity to outresolve both those lenses. So why buy a D7000 then stick on an average lens on it.

How does that improve on what he has?

Oh, and by the way, I did answer his question If you read my first sentence.
I said: If you got the money by all means go and get it.

So, other than that, I have no really strong feelings on the subject.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:08 AM   #10

thank you all for your input, you mention that my current lenses are not exactly the best out there, then what would you get for a better choice? I would like a decent carry lens, but I also enjoy portraits and I would really like to get into Macro shooting, so let's hear some suggestions? By the way I did pick up a nikkor 55-200vr also.

Lee