Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:52 AM   #1

Default D7000 Focus Options

I've purchased my new D7000 thanks for the feed back you guys provided me with and I am VERY satisfied with the camera. It is giving MUCH MORE than what I was expecting.

But coming from older DSLRs and how focusing worked back then I am just trying to understand the advanced focus options D7000 gives me.

Before I used to select one focus sensor... put my subjects eyes there and shoot. I get VERY SHARP EYES which is something extremely important for me. Now with AF-S, AF-A and AF-C yeah I like the automated multi sensor technology but not all my photos have the eyes focused on. Sometimes it is the nose, cheek or other parts of the subject.

Is it better for me to go back to the S mode where I select a single sensor for focusing and put that sensor on the subjects Eye to guarantee the highest focus point to be on the Eye? Or would the AF-A be smart enough to spot the eyes for me?

Edit: I forgot to ask a question, is it true that D7000 only take category 10 SD cards?

Last edited by Dunes; Oct 20, 2011 at 5:30 AM.
Dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:39 AM   #2

The choice of AF-S, AF-A and AF-C doesn't affect which sensor is used. AF-S (Single Servo AF) focuses when you push the shutter button halfway down, and once it locks focus, it stops. AF-C (Continuous Servo AF) works much the same way, but if the subject moves, the camera will continue to focus as long as the shutter button is pressed halfway. AF-A (Auto Servo AF) starts off in AF-S, but switches to AF-C if the subject moves. (See page 91 of the D7000 User's Manual.)

With any of these, you can always select any single focus point to use.

You might want to try the Face Priority AF. (See page 51 of the D7000 User's Manual.) It automatically detects faces in the frame, and focuses on the closest, but you can select other faces using the multi-selector.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunes View Post
Edit: I forgot to ask a question, is it true that D7000 only take category 10 SD cards?
The D7000 can use any SD, SDHC or SDXC card. (See page 309 of the D7000 User's Manual.)
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:22 AM   #4

perhaps the op is referring to uhs-1. in january this year, the d7000 was the first dslr to be able to make full use of the new uhs-1 memory cards. i believe that other cameras can also use those new super-fast cards now. here's one link:
http://www.henrys.com/64631-SANDISK-...S-1-45MBS.aspx
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:38 AM   #5
Administrator

Note that Sandisk has some out that are roughly twice as fast as that one now (90MB/Second Write, 95MB/Second Read)

http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr...i-memory-cards

But, I'd wait until someone tests that kind of card to see if you'd have any speed increase in a D7000 (as some of the tests I've seen of other cards rated with similar speeds showed the D7000 wasn't taking advantage of their potential speed). For example, this test using a Delkin 633x card (90MB/Second) showed that it was no faster than a Sandisk 45MB/Second UHS-1 card:

http://glamourphotography.co/gear/uh...-32gb-45mbsec/

But, the new Sandisk 633x card may test faster in it (I'd wait for someone to test one in a D7000 to find out before spending that much money on one)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
... For example, this test using a Delkin 633x card (90MB/Second) showed that it was no faster than a Sandisk 45MB/Second UHS-1 card ...
It's also possible that the Delkin 633x card isn't quite as fast as Delkin says it is. (I have trouble accepting manufacturer's specifications for memory cards, unless the manufacturer is SanDisk or Lexar.)

But the Nikon D7000 was the first camera to use the UHS-1 bus, which permits faster transfer rates than previous SD Card buses, but there are multiple cameras that have UHS-1 buses now.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:32 AM   #7

Thank you TCav for explaining the focus system. It make more sense. I didn't know I can also set it to read from one focus sensor using the upper dial to get out of the AF options!

For the SD Card.. what do you guys suggest? Any recommended SD card Model?
Dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:53 AM   #8

I recommend SanDisk Extreme (or better) and Lexar Professional (or better). Others here are pleased with other brands.