Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:45 AM   #1

Default D7000 RAW + Fine = Where's the RAW?

I just took a lot of pictures in RAW+ Fine JPG setup. When I plug my D7000 into my computer's USB I see only JPG. I have adobe CS5 but I just see JPG and duplicates of the same JPG image. This is just a hindrance because I just doubled the size of my files for no benefit.

Where did the NEF files go? What am I doing wrong?
Dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:11 AM   #2
Administrator

If you use a card reader, you could copy and paste them via Windows Explorer.

But, your camera uses what's known as PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) via a USB connection, and most applications will need a codec supporting .nef files from it before they will see them.

What version of Windows are you using? Nikon has a codec available for 32 Bit Windows here. But, it's not compatible with 64 Bit Windows, as Nikon has not yet released any 64 bit codecs for their nef files:

http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

Microsoft also has codec for raw files, and they have them for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows. But, their current codecs do not support your D7000 yet.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=26829

So, if you're using 64 Bit Windows 7, your best bet is to buy the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack from here if you want WIC (Windows Imaging Component) enabled applications to be able to handle your raw files, seeing thumbnails from them, support in more photo players, etc. It's only $14.95 and gives you a lot more features compared to other codec packs anyway.

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

As for CS5 being able to convert the raw files, make sure to update the Adobe Camera Raw plugin (Camera Raw.8bi) to the latest version. The D7000 wasn't added until Camera Raw version 6.3 (and the latest version is now 6.5). Earlier versions will not allow you to convert nef files from your camera. You can use the "Help>Update" menu choice from CS5 and follow the prompts to update Camera Raw to the latest version. Or, you can download an installer and start it manually to update Camera Raw. Here's the page for the latest version of it:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5262
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:00 AM   #3

I have no problems seeing, editing, loading my old RAW files from my old D70s. The problem is when I "explore" using Windows XP the camera I see JPGs only.. nothing else.. nothing hidden.. I have setting to show all hidden files. (why would the .nef files be hidden?)

Surprisingly I have TWO .jpg for each picture and no .nef files.

My CS5 can edit RAW files but I see no RAW files. The problem is not with editing the files.. the problem is.. there's nothing in the camera. I am using USB connection with camera to my computer.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:13 AM   #4
Administrator

They're not hidden. You need a codec so that Windows Explorer (or other WIC compliant applications like Adobe Bridge) can recognize them properly via a USB connection to your cameras. They should show them in a list if they're in folders on your PC or if you're using a card reader. You just wouldn't see the thumbnails for them without the codec installed (but the files would still be there and visible as nef files).

But, that's not the case trying to view them via a connection to your camera. If you're trying to see them via a USB connection to your camera, they're not going to be recognized properly with most software unless you install a codec that supports files from your D7000. Your D7000 is not a USB mass storage device, and any software that interfaces with it via a USB connection will need to use a Windows Imaging Component codec that supports your camera model to recognize the files properly.

Note that nef files are different from each camera model, too. Just because your D70s may be supported, doesn't mean your D7000 is.

Quote:
...The problem is when I "explore" using Windows XP the camera I see JPGs only..
If you're using XP, just install Nikon's codec. It works with 32 bit Windows XP SP3. See the link to it in my last post. Here it is again:

http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

But, you'll need to make sure your XP installation updated to Service Pack 3 (or install WIC separately if you want download it and install it in Windows XP SP2 instead of updating to SP3), since Microsoft didn't start including WIC (Windows Imaging Component) features in Windows Explorer with XP until a later Service Pack, so that Windows Explorer can recognize the raw files when a codec is available.

Again, your D7000 uses a PTP (Picture to Picture) protocol to transfer images. That's not the same thing as using a USB Attached Card Reader, USB attached hard drive, or other USB Mass Storage Compliant Device (and your D70s is a USB Mass Storage compliant device, so that folders are viewable just like they would be on a hard drive, whereas your D7000 is not a USB Mass Storage device, and needs software capable of interpreting the files stored on it via codecs instead). Windows does not interface with it in the same way as it did with your D70s, or in the way it views files in a folder located on your hard drive. PTP is a totally different way of interfacing with files on a device.

So, if you want to use something like Windows Explorer (or any other WIC compliant application like Adobe Bridge that's trying to view the files on your USB attached camera) to recognize the nef files properly via that USB Attachment, you'll need to install a raw codec that supports your camera model.

Or, just use a card reader instead.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:28 AM   #5

Thank you JimC.

But now after I installed the Codec I am able to view the old NEF files on my old HD like a .jpg (on windows explorer) before they were icons.. now they have a thumbnail.

However, still I can't see NEF files from my camera. I still see two of the same .jpgs no NEFs. I will take new photos with RAW+Fine quality setting and see if I still have this problem.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:57 AM   #6
Administrator

It looks like there may be a problem with the way Windows Explorer interfaces with Nikon cameras when shooting raw+jpeg in some conditions.

You installed Nikon's codec, right (as the Microsoft codec won't support your D7000)?

If so, and you have Windows fully updated to SP3, you may have to use another way to see the .nef files with a directly attached camera. Personally, I use a card reader to transfer images.

Here's a Nikon support page I found about the problem it appears you have from the way you're describing it:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...ail/a_id/16630