Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Wow Zig,

I didn't think I'd see this!!!

Aside from the benefits you mentioned, they say the dynamic range exceeds my FX body at base ISO. That should come in handy for those sweet landscapes you do.

Enjoy the new tool, and post some so we can enjoy too.
Hi Greg,

That's just goes to show you how dangerous it is for me to step into a camera shop
I'll not be doing that again for awhile.

I'm looking forward to playing around with this camera today. Sounds like the weather here is going to deteriorate in the next few days, so, today is the day I'm going to play with my new toy.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:46 AM   #12

Had an opportunity this morning to photograph a cooperative and greedy Blue Jay. I've got the ISO setting adjusted to auto with a maximum limit of ISO3200.
The purpose was to see what I'd get for output if I cranked up the shutter speed and aperture at low light.

Here is one result at ISO2800. I did clean up the noise just a wee bit and did crop away the unnecessary portion of the frame.

Not bad.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:29 AM   #13

You've held onto the feather definition very nicely, even at that high ISO. Good job.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:21 AM   #14

Hi Zig,

Congrads on the new body. I had the feeling that you would choose this route when you 1st purchased the D-90. It is indeed a great DX body for the price. You should also consider the MB-D11 grip, it will make handling this DX body even better.

Hope to see more of BIF pics from you with the D7K. You'll be amazed with the AF system of this camera
D800E/MB-D12 D7000/MB-D11 | 18-200 VRII | 35 1.8G | 85 1.8D | 70-200 VRII | 105 2.8G VR | 24-120 4VR | 300 4AF-S | TC-14EII | SB-700 | Sigma 150 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 150-500 | Tokina 11-16 2.8 | Rokinon 85 1.4
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
You've held onto the feather definition very nicely, even at that high ISO. Good job.
Thanks for taking the time to look and to comment. I tried very hard to be very conservative with the noise reduction in Adobe's ACR, since the feather detail is the first to go when you become too aggressive with that tool.

Zig

Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobt View Post
Hi Zig,

Congrads on the new body. I had the feeling that you would choose this route when you 1st purchased the D-90. It is indeed a great DX body for the price. You should also consider the MB-D11 grip, it will make handling this DX body even better.

Hope to see more of BIF pics from you with the D7K. You'll be amazed with the AF system of this camera
Hi Jacob,

I've been investigating the possibility of going to FX ever since I picked up the D90. I thought I was actually going to get the D700. But, each time I started my research into going in that direction, I ended up reading something about the D7000 that changed my perspective.

In the end, the D7000 just plain won out.

As for the grip, I'm going to have to look at that. In a few weeks(when my wife forgets about the camera I just got)

Zig

Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:03 AM   #17

I love Bluejays, very nice...!

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:06 PM   #18

Congratulations Zig for your new camera, those pictures looks sharp and the bokeh is creamy as well.

What lens did you use for this pictures?
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Congratulations Zig for your new camera, those pictures looks sharp and the bokeh is creamy as well.

What lens did you use for this pictures?
Hi Marcelo,

I used the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens. It is probably the sharpest lens I've ever used, regardless the system. One other point to note, is that adding a TC-14E teleconverter does not degrade the image quality. At least, I've yet to find an instance where it has.

That combo pretty much negates the need for my picking up a Nikon 300mm f4 lens.

I now have the 70-200mm 2.8, the 18-70mm Nikkor, and the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 lenses as my kit. At some point in time, I might upgrade the medium telephoto. But, at the moment, it seems to be adequate as I find myself at either the extremes of the focal range.

Zig

Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Marcelo,

I used the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens. It is probably the sharpest lens I've ever used, regardless the system. One other point to note, is that adding a TC-14E teleconverter does not degrade the image quality. At least, I've yet to find an instance where it has.

That combo pretty much negates the need for my picking up a Nikon 300mm f4 lens.

I now have the 70-200mm 2.8, the 18-70mm Nikkor, and the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 lenses as my kit. At some point in time, I might upgrade the medium telephoto. But, at the moment, it seems to be adequate as I find myself at either the extremes of the focal range.

Zig
Hi Zig,

I am loving my 70-200 also. It stands up to the 1.7 TC just fine optically, but the focus slows. It won't take the place of the 300 f4, but thats mainly because of the reach on FX. The 400+ mm with the TC14 with very quick AF is needed for me, but DX gets the exact same reach with the 70-200/TC-14 and AF is excellent.

As far as shooting tweeties through glass, I'd have to invest a bunch of time cleaning windows. When I cannot get the autofocus past the dirty pane, maybe I should get the message.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote