Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:55 PM   #1
rle

Default d7000

Hey Guys, I'm a new proud owner of a d7000, with a couple of lenses. Nikon 10/24 & 18/200. Wallet a bit lighter, but my grandchildren don't yet know the meaning of "inheritance".

I would like to have a Sigma 150/500 for wildlife shots. Will it work on a d7000, is it a good idea?

Thanks,
Rich.
rle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:29 PM   #2

That's a very nice lens, though you may want to get an extra battery or two, maybe even a vertical grip.

Take a look here and see what others are using.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rle View Post
Hey Guys, I'm a new proud owner of a d7000, with a couple of lenses. Nikon 10/24 & 18/200. Wallet a bit lighter, but my grandchildren don't yet know the meaning of "inheritance".

I would like to have a Sigma 150/500 for wildlife shots. Will it work on a d7000, is it a good idea?

Thanks,
Rich.
Congrats on getting a very fine camera. It will serve you well. As for the Sigma
150-500mm lens, as is so often the case with super zooms, the image quality degrades quite quickly once you get past 250mm. The other alternatives-if you have to get up to a 500mm focal range would be the Tamron 200-500mm or the Sigma 50-500mm. All three will give some image quality issues at 500mm.

For some detailed information, here's a link to a lens testing site that should help :

http://www.lenstip.com/lenses_reviews.html

Frankly, you may just want to look at the 70-300mm Nikkor VR lens. It is really a very good lens for a reasonable amount of money.

Personally, I use the Nikon 70-200mmf2.8 lens along with the TC14E teleconverter which gets me close to a 300mm lens. While it means that I have to get a lot closer to my subjects than when using a 500mm lens, the trade off is that the image quality is as good as it gets.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:18 AM   #4

My experience with teleconverters has been bad. I found they gave a milky soft look to anything shot with them. This was with film and my Pentax. Hopefully things are different with digital. Id like to see some images from your 10/24. Thats the lens Im looking at getting now for architectural interiors.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:02 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
My experience with teleconverters has been bad. I found they gave a milky soft look to anything shot with them. This was with film and my Pentax. Hopefully things are different with digital..
My experience with the Nikkor 1.7 TC + 70-200 f2.8 has been very favorable. I use it extensively for aviation photography and see no noticeable degradation in image quality. Can't speak for other combinations, but the Nikkors seem to work well (for me at least). Here's a link to an example.

Jehan

http://www.airliners.net/photo/DHL/B...e0bda659bf48fa

I've heard that the 70-300 is a great lens for the price. I am awaiting the arrival of the Sigma 150-500 (due to be delivered today) and will report out on the IQ especially at the long end of the zoom.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:24 AM   #6

I have the Sigma APO 150-500mm F/5-6.3 on my D300 and it gives good results out to about 400mm then it gets a bit soft. Not bad results when you consider the competition costs 4-5 times as much! It is stabilized but I get better results using a monopod and a Manfrotto 393 gimbal head. http://www.manfrotto.ca/product/0/39...ct_Plate_357PL
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:11 AM   #7

Well Wingman if I was getting results like that with my teleconverter Id certainly have better quality pics in the old album. I have a teleconverter for my D7000 but no lens to fit it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:24 PM   #8
rle

Mr. Bynx, We visited the Grand Canyon in Az. My frist field trip with D7000 & 10/24. As soon as I learn how to attach photos I will share what I recorded.

Everyone, thanks for the replies. I have been doing photos for some years, went digital from Kodachrome 64 several years ago. But I'm totally new to forums.
Attached Images

Last edited by rle; Nov 3, 2011 at 3:56 PM. Reason: added photo
rle is offline   Reply With Quote