Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:15 PM   #1

Default Nikond (D3100) USB cables specs? Usb 1 or 2.0?

Well, the D3100 obviously doens't come with a USB cable... but since I don't want to spend an insane 20 on a Nikon cable - I'm buying a third party one...
The cable I need is a male-male USB-A to USB-mini b right?

Also, do these cameras use USB2.0 or are they still in USB1?
dufvasven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:08 PM   #2
Administrator

They're USB 2.0. But, I'm not sure what specific connector it uses.

Have you considered just using a USB attached card reader instead of a connection to your camera? Card Readers are very inexpensive now.

BTW, you posted this in our Nikon Forum in the "Point and Shoot" section. We have a separate Nikon dSLR forum setup for cameras like your D3100. So, I'll move this thread there for you now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:24 PM   #3

Hmm, but I sure hope Nikon is not using some kind of non-standard connector?
If so I will start hating them

I don't want a card reader cos I dislike taking out the card all the time.
Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:44 PM   #4

That is a lame excuse. Using a card reader is much safer than connecting an expensive camera to your computer. The card mechanism is designed to allow you to remove the card and replace it as often as necessary. But, to each his own.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:12 PM   #5

Well, that "lame excuse" is why I always use a cable with my D5000. It hardly seems that one needs an "excuse" to prefer one way of working over another, and these are the accidental aspects of working with a camera that often determine which brands and models we enjoy working with and which ones we choose to avoid.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:24 PM   #6

Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers with my comment. But really, I have been using a card reader for years, and I have never had a single mishap with them.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:22 AM   #7

I'm sure high quality cameras have good memory slot "doors"... but also heard of ones that have gotten flimsy after a lot of use.

Anyway, that was not the question... So nobody has actually taken time to inspect their USB cables to see what kind of connector it has?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufvasven View Post
The cable I need is a male-male USB-A to USB-mini b right?
Yep. That should work. I found some posts in other forums around that a generic cable like that works with them. I also found an Ebay listing for a retractable USB cable setup that had a separate listing for a D3100 and showed that's what it used. See the specs in this listing for an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-Ret...item35b62d0601

Here's another listing for a different generic cable from a Hong Kong based vendor showing it's a USB A to USB Mini B type cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Data-cab...item1c1d3caa48

Here in the U.S., you can find cheap 4 foot length cables for less than $2 delivered at some vendors if you shop around. Here's one example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-4ft...item1e663600dc

Longer cables are not a lot more.

So, they should be relatively inexpensive in Europe, too. For example, if I search Amazon UK I see lots of them at cheap prices like this 1 Meter length cable for 0.97 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cables-Go-Mi...im_computers_2

Here's another listing for one some vendors are selling for around 0.74 with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essex-Electr...cp_computers_1

But, do your own research as to product quality and vendor feedback, as I wouldn't expect to get a great quality cable with good RF shielding, high quality wire, and gold plated contacts for that kind of price. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:13 PM   #9

Thanks Jim for the great answer

I'm not in the UK, but I'll pick one up with ferrits for at least a third of the price of a nikon...