Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2011, 5:10 AM   #1

Default D200 Advice Please

Hello people, a friend of mine (quite old and not very camera experienced) has a D200. He has a problem with under exposing shots because he accidentally moves the thumb wheel.
Is there an option in the setup which would prevent this?
Thanks for any help.
Jerry
alfajerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajerry View Post
Hello people, a friend of mine (quite old and not very camera experienced) has a D200. He has a problem with under exposing shots because he accidentally moves the thumb wheel.
Is there an option in the setup which would prevent this?
Thanks for any help.
Jerry

My advice to your friend would be suggesting the use of a tripod and remote shutter activator. Reason being, if he has problems with accidentally moving the thumb wheel, he also may have trouble with tremors which would introduce shake(blur) into the image.

zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3

On page 170 of the Nikon D200 Guide, there's the Change Main/Sub option which exchanges the functions of the main command dial (the one on the back) with the sub-command dial (the one on the front). Unfortunately, that would simply have the main command dial adjust the aperture instead of the shutter speed, so that won't solve his problem. There's also the Rotate Direction option which changes the rotation direction for the command dials, but that would over-expose his shots instead of underexposing them, so that's probably also not a solution.

There is another option, however, that may solve his problem. That is the Aperture Setting option which keeps the sub-command dial (or the main command dial if the Change Main/Sub option is selected) from adjusting the aperture, so that only the aperture ring on the lens can be used to adjust the aperture. This option doesn't work, however, for Nikon's type G lenses that don't have aperture rings. Also, the Change Main/Sub option exchanges the functions of both command dials for everything, so your friend may have to learn to use his D200 all over again.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:07 AM   #4

If he's using M (Manual Exposure) Mode, rotating the main command dial changes the shutter speed. No other settings are affected.

If he's using any other exposure mode, rotating the main command dial still changes the shutter speed, but the camera will automatically compensate by changing the aperture. He may not get the shutter speed he thought he selected, but at least his shots will be properly exposed.

Maybe it's time for him to stop using M.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:58 AM   #5

Thanks for your help everyone.
I wasn't aware that he was using Manual.
So, in any Auto or Program exposure mode, if he half presses the shutter button to get an exposure and then moves the thumbwheel it should only alter the shutter/aperture relationship but still give an accurate exposure?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:06 AM   #6

In every other exposure mode, when you adjust either the aperture or the shutter speed, the camera will atomatically compensate by adjusting the other in order to keep a proper exposure.

In M (Manual) mode, you can intentionally adjust the exposure so the camera will give you an underexposed or overexposed image.

I think what's happeneding is your friend is unintentionally intentionally adjusting the exposure settings, and that can only happen in M Mode.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:42 AM   #7

Thanks again.
Is there a download of the owner's manual online anywhere, so that I can swot up before I see him again?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajerry View Post
Thanks again.
Is there a download of the owner's manual online anywhere, so that I can swot up before I see him again?
Yes. I included a link to it in my first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
On page 170 of the Nikon D200 Guide, ...
You can find all Nikon's downloads at their Download Center.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:57 AM   #9

Sorry TCav, my fault.
Thank you for your help.
All the best,
Jerry
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:11 AM   #10

Having looked at the manual, if I am reading it correctly, I think he may actually be in an auto mode but is pressing the exp comp button and the thumbwheel.
OR, he's got
Custom Setting b5: Easy Exposure Compensation
set to ON.
I'm starting to think he'd be better off with a camera with less convenient controls!

Last edited by alfajerry; Dec 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM.