Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:40 PM   #11

Default D5100 or D7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
When I tried both of them, the D7000 is much better in low light.
Actually not true, the D5100 is the later technology with same or very slight image improvement.
The articulating LCD is very good and useful too.
The D5100 shoots HD1080P at 30fps.
It is lighter and cheaper.
You can get the D5100 + two kit lens 18-55 & 55-200 for the price of the D7000.
These are very good AF-S lens to start with. You will have to pay a lot more to get better except for the AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX lens.

That said, I am not giving up my D7000 for Event Photography.
More frames per second, two card slots, bigger battery, screw driver motor for my 80-400 are all appreciated.
RRRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:11 PM   #12

Sorry for taking so long to reply, have had some family problems. I have been going through boxes after moving here in Wichita Falls Tx. from Bloomsburg Pa and today found 3 old AI-s manual lenses, 28mm 1:2.8, 50mm 1:1.8 and a 100mm 1:2.8 E lens along with a 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 non D lense. I think that if these would be compatable with the D7000 that I would get this camera and instead of buying lenses buy a nice flash for the camera, then after I get real aquanted with the camera then buy some more lenses. I have read that the 18-55mm VR is a good lense since it is a kit lense, whatever I do I am hoping these lenses will do the job for awhile. The manual lenses have never been used except for the 50mm lense which I used once. They have been put back for over 7 years and not used, the 70-210mm has been used quite abit by me in the past but is still in awesome working order, the other lenses are in excellent condition.
Wildlifephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlifephoto View Post
Sorry for taking so long to reply, have had some family problems. I have been going through boxes after moving here in Wichita Falls Tx. from Bloomsburg Pa and today found 3 old AI-s manual lenses, 28mm 1:2.8, 50mm 1:1.8 and a 100mm 1:2.8 E lens along with a 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 non D lense. I think that if these would be compatable with the D7000 that I would get this camera and instead of buying lenses buy a nice flash for the camera, then after I get real aquanted with the camera then buy some more lenses. I have read that the 18-55mm VR is a good lense since it is a kit lense, whatever I do I am hoping these lenses will do the job for awhile. The manual lenses have never been used except for the 50mm lense which I used once. They have been put back for over 7 years and not used, the 70-210mm has been used quite abit by me in the past but is still in awesome working order, the other lenses are in excellent condition.
as long as the lenses are the old Ai or Ai-s lenses they'll be fine. The metering system of the D7000 will operate okay. Another benefit of the D7000 is that it has a 100% optical viewfinder, meaning it will be large enough and bright enough for you to focus manually without a lot of issues.

As for a DX lens, don't skimp and buy an interim lens only to have to sell it when you upgrade. Buy something that you can use for a long time to come. The 18-105mm lens might be a better choice. Buying a used one would be something I would do.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 3:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Fairly common... I've had it on mine. Irritating!
Because of that irritating oil on sensor problem that kept coming back, I sold my D7000 and kept the D5100. I'm saving up for the new D4.
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:35 AM   #15

Wow, jack! That will be quite an upgrade! Did you inform the buyer about the problem?

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote