Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

My upgrade path was getting the refurbished D90 body, then getting a used 70-200mm (VR1 version) 2.8 lens. Instead of paying $2400, the lens cost me $1600.

Adding the 70-200mm VR1 or II to your D90 will give you an immediate and very significant upgrade in performance to what you have now. You will also
benefit in low light performance because of the aperture setting of 2.8 throughout the focal range.

The 70-200mm is an amazing lens with very quick focus response, locks onto a moving subject really without any issues and IMHO is one of there best lenses that Nikon has designed. Adding a TC-14E telecom essentially gives you a 300mm F4 lens without any loss of resolution or detail.

All that being said, The D7000 is a great camera with a better sensor and more sophisticated AF system than the D90. But I think you'll get more bang for your buck by going with the lens first.

Zig
I agree. It would seem most logical to buy the faster lens first.

Would I be correct in assuming that my D90 will autofocus easier and quicker with the 2.8 aperture vs. my present 3.5 apertures (under the same conditions) ?

Thanks zig-123.
Logo10heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logo10heli View Post
I agree. It would seem most logical to buy the faster lens first.

Would I be correct in assuming that my D90 will autofocus easier and quicker with the 2.8 aperture vs. my present 3.5 apertures (under the same conditions) ?

Thanks zig-123.

In a word, yes, provided we're talking about less than very bright light. The 2.8 aperture of the 70-200mm will 'see' quicker and obtain focus faster as it gathers more light, faster. Not to be overlooked is the fact that while the 70-300mm at full extension is at f5.6, the 70-200mm with the TC-14E is at F4.

You might want to take a minute and read this evaluation of the 70-200mm VR II lens as written by Thom Hogan. The review compares the performance of the VRII version against the older versions. It is a worthy read.

http://bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote