Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:12 AM   #1

Default Please help with photo counter - on D5100

Hi,

I just bought the D5100 - so far I am very impressed with the image quality and noise control.

I am having an issue where after I download my pictures to the computer, that the camera counter resets back to zero and it starts naming all pictures starting at 0001 every time.

So even though I have taken 200 pictures, once I clear out the SD card, the counter goes back to zero.

The problem with this is that when I move the next set of pictures to the computer, the file names are the same and windows tries to over-write the older photos.

I have looked in the manual but don't seem to be able to find a way to make the camera not reset the counter.

Can someone guide me to the location where I can change this setting?

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:16 AM   #2

In the Custom Settings Menu (d: Shooting / display) is d3 File Number Sequence set to Reset?
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:23 AM   #3

See page 162 of the D5100 Reference Manual. You should set the File Number Sequence option to On.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:26 PM   #4

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help!

Juggernaut
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:00 PM   #5

I don't know why Nikon does that.

Hopefully, as you downloaded, it created a new folder. I think that is another option you have to set, but in Nikon Transfer, not the camera.

If downloading into the same folder, file #1 will overwrite the previous file #1 never to be recovered. It happened to me as I was documenting for the building inspector my DIY work as I added a patio - depth of concrete, termite treatment, etc. All overwritten on the next download.

Also overheard a conversation is a local camera shop where a lady had done similar and the employee was giving her the bad news.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
I don't know why Nikon does that.

Hopefully, as you downloaded, it created a new folder. I think that is another option you have to set, but in Nikon Transfer, not the camera.

If downloading into the same folder, file #1 will overwrite the previous file #1 never to be recovered. It happened to me as I was documenting for the building inspector my DIY work as I added a patio - depth of concrete, termite treatment, etc. All overwritten on the next download.

Also overheard a conversation is a local camera shop where a lady had done similar and the employee was giving her the bad news.
Hi,

Setting the number sequence to "on" seems to have solved the problem. It is now working as I wanted it - each picture has a unique file name even after downloading the pictures to the computer - so won't have to worry about overwriting an older file until I have taken 10,000 shots.

Thanks!