Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:39 PM   #1

Default D5000 Flash Suggestions, opinions and suggestions please

Hello!

I have been looking at the SB-700, I love that it automatically senses your filter. Does anyone have any experiences with this flash, what are your opinions if so? I am interested in it because I have not tried external flashes before and I an nervous/hesitant to make my own filters and change them, it seems a pain, any suggestions, input? Is it worth it to spend more to have the filters and sensor?

I am also looking at getting the sb-400.

I am looking for flashes to cover pretty much every situation and the stock flash just is not doing it.

How about third-party (non-nikon) flashes, what are you experiences? I want get the best product and outcome for my money. Money is tight (isn't it for most), but I can always save to work towards what I need.

Thanks!
JAVIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:08 AM   #2

I would recommend getting something a bit more robust than the SB-400. I purchased my SB-600 for under $200 refurbished from Nikon's online store. It has been a good purchase though I also have a couple of Yongnuo YN-560's. Most of my flash work is off-camera. The upside to the SB-700 is that it has commander mode so you can build your flash collection from there if you so decide.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:52 AM   #3

I have the D5000 and use the SunPak PZ42N: http://www.adorama.com/SUPZ42XNK.html I think it is a nice fit with this camera. It doesn't support the commander-mode off-camera control, but neither does the D5000. It does have just what I wanted it to have, which is adequate illumination, TTL support, the ability to swivel as well as tilt (which is the big difference between this model and one that costs about a third that. For some reason, swiveling is a big price inflection point for flash units. BTW, when I looked into the Yongnuo flash units, I didn't see one that swivelled. But maybe I just missed it. If so, they are well-regarded.) One thing I like a lot about the PZ42 is that it has a silly piece of plastic that you can fold down over the flash which acts as a diffuser. It does a decent job for a diffuser. I've used this flash with my Tokina 12-24 UWA lens and not had a problem getting even illumination.

If you are interested in off-camera flash, you may not care all that much about swivel flash. There are lots of inexpensive wireless remote units like this one: http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-N...=31TTPVP3N0Q01 Once you're off-camera, of course, you can point the unit wherever you like. But, if you're going to stay on-camera, I would suggest you bite the bullet and pay for the swivel capability. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:59 AM   #4

I know the YN-560 and YN-565 both swivel and tilt. I assume the 400 series does too but I dont kniw for sure. Speedlights.net reviews a bunch of 3rd party flashes. Good resource.

bc
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:11 PM   #5

What about filters and diffusers? How easily is it to make them, or put them on these flashes? What is your experiences with either? Do you use them when on the "go".

A lot of my upcoming shots will be landscapes and scenery.

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:30 PM   #6

Yes, I agree that I need something more robust than th sb-400, but I was considering getting both, since the sb400 is smaller it would be easier at times, or is not worth getting both and just get the larger flash?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:55 PM   #7

I do a lot of on-location photography with multiple off-camera flashes so yes, I do use them on the go. I mostly use Roscoe 1/4 CTO gels to add some warmth to the flash when I'm shooting people outdoors during golden hours. I use a number of diffusers and modifiers with my flashes including umbrellas, softbox, grids, snoots, tri-grips and beauty dish. That's all mostly just for portrait stuff though. If I'm shooting something more dynamic like an event I'll typically either use on-camera bounce flash or I'll tether the flash to the camera with a TTL cord and hold/aim it with one hand while I shoot with the other.

If you'd like to see a bit of my off-camera flash work that was done with small flashes then click on the link in my sig.

brad
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:55 PM   #8

Thanks, if I were to get a flash that does not have gel fitted filters it is easy and worth the time to make them? I have seen some strange set ups to get gel filters on these flashes and I want something clean, simple, and effective.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:19 AM   #9

Probably the easiest thing would be to get the lumiquest gel holder. Honl makes one too I think though I'm sure the Lumiquest one is cheaper.

I started out taping my gels to flashes with gaffer tape. No big deal. Then I switched to a bit of velcro on each end attached to velcro strips I have on each flash. Sometimes I still use gaffer tape though. I wouldn't let anything about gels be a deciding factor with your flash though you definitely can't go wrong with any of SB Nikon flashes from 600 and up. You probably won't end up using them as much as you think you will. Of course that's speculation on my part but it's experienced speculation.

Also, I recommend ordering the Roscoe Strobist gel set. You can find it in Amazon or the major camera dealer websites. It is inexpensive.

Brad