Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Default I went to shoot some birds today

with the D7000+70-200mm 2.8 combo. It is unusually mild here in the northeast- Mid fifties today. So, I got grabbed my camera kit and off I went.
Here are a few images of Eiders that winter over, here on the Cape.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:24 PM   #2

....looks fun Zig, maybe that last one might be captioned 'Eider down', could not resist!

Hope all is well, have fun.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:03 PM   #3

Default Looks like the autofocus is working JUST FINE

The third pic is my favorite.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:12 PM   #4

Hi Bob, Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking the time to look and to comment.

The weather here, this time of year, usually has me taking photos of snow covered landscapes, etc. Instead, it's noticeably mild- today again, it reached close to 50 degrees here. The first measured snowfall we had was this past Friday and that lasted all of about an hour as the temps rapidly climbed intro the fifties.

And yes, I'm having much fun with the 70-200mm 2.8.

Greg,

As I'm sure you know, waterfowl typically fly so fast that it's a challenge to pan parallel with them. Once AF is obtained, D7000 just stays in a locked position
Which then allows me the luxury of actually trying to frame the moving target.
Something I never even thought of before.

I can only imagine how good your D3s is at AF.

BTW, it's great fun to watch these Eiders fly so low to the water. I call it flying below the radar.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:43 PM   #5

Zig,

I am getting ready to graduate from my 5 year old D40 and am almost decided on the D7000. Your images have certainly helped to seal the deal. Gorgeous galleries on your Smugmug site! It is clear that the camera can do what I envision. It's now just a question of developing my skills, and maybe getting better glass too, when budget allows. I have a Tamron 70-300 VC Di 4-5.6 that seems to work pretty well. Do you think that will be adequate for good results with the new body or will I need better glass to get the sharpness you get?

Ah... my fingers are itchin' for that new toy!

Thanks,

Dale
camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:58 PM   #6

Great shots Zig, love the low water flying. I can hardly wait to see your spring and summer flower shots with your new baby!
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:41 PM   #7

Those are really nice Zig,

Very sharp pictures and nice colors.

Your panning skills and the fast AF of the D7000 are a great combination for success.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camalot View Post
Zig,

I am getting ready to graduate from my 5 year old D40 and am almost decided on the D7000. Your images have certainly helped to seal the deal. Gorgeous galleries on your Smugmug site! It is clear that the camera can do what I envision. It's now just a question of developing my skills, and maybe getting better glass too, when budget allows. I have a Tamron 70-300 VC Di 4-5.6 that seems to work pretty well. Do you think that will be adequate for good results with the new body or will I need better glass to get the sharpness you get?

Ah... my fingers are itchin' for that new toy!

Thanks,

Dale
Hi Dale,

First off, my apologies to you for not responding to your post sooner. I just plain did not see it.

And, thanks for the kind comments as they are much appreciated.

As to your question regarding the functional utility of the Tamron 70-300mm on the D7000. While I haven't personally used this particular lens, I've read a bunch of good comments. The build quality is not up to the same standards as the Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens, (I wouldn't expect it to be at the price), however, the sharpness is fairly comparable to the Nikkor.

Now, I don't know exactly what you're planning on photographing, etc. but for normal shooting applications requiring long focal lengths, it should be a good match. I certainly wouldn't recommend you go out and buy a particular lens until you've had a chance to get really comfortable with the D7000. Then you can analyze where your photo interests are headed. You'll then be in a better position to decide what kind of lenses you may need.

Good luck with your new camera.

Zig

Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedangie View Post
Great shots Zig, love the low water flying. I can hardly wait to see your spring and summer flower shots with your new baby!
Hi Angie,

Thank you. It will be a while before I post any photos of flowers blooming in New England. But I'll make a point of taking some down here in Florida and posing them.

Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Those are really nice Zig,

Very sharp pictures and nice colors.

Your panning skills and the fast AF of the D7000 are a great combination for success.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
Hi Marcelo,

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. Much appreciated.
I do have to tell you that it is more the lens and camera that are doing the work. I just try and stay out of the way.