Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Default A sensible upgrade???

Hi,
1. I have a D5000 which I am happy with.
2. I am not interested in movie quality or fancy filters like isolating a single colour or area of sharpness.
3. I am interested in HDR.
4. I haven't any issues with with swivel rear display.
So the question is would the cost of upgrading to a D5100 be worth while just for the improved?? image quality and will it be that noticable?.
Also is HDR making ADL obsolete??.
I will appreciate your comments.
Thanks
Eveone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:38 PM   #2

I have the D5000, and am personally not all that interested in upgrading at this time. The D5100 isn't really enough of a step up to my way of thinking (and, BTW, you will lose the viewfinder display lines for rule-of-thirds framing and the like -- in case that matters).

The thing that would most attract me to upgrading would be the higher-resolution LCD display. If you use that display for focusing with macro shots and the like, the low res of the lcd is a bit of an impediment to sharp focus. It is doable (just barely) by zooming essentially as far as you can (minus one zoom for me, as the screen seems fuzzy and interpolated on the last step). But that means you lose the framing when you set the final focus. All in all, it is pretty kludgy. But it is by far the most reliable way to manually focus the D5000 IME.

The improved ISO range is not trivial, it just isn't enough of an enticement to get me to open my wallet. And, if you want to do HDR, the bracketed shooting you already have would be what you would most need. The higher dynamic range would allow you to avoid resorting to HDR on more shots -- or so ISTM. As it is, though, I'm quite content to wait before upgading. If I get some money that's itching to be spent, I'll try to find a way to get a bright tele lens. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:19 PM   #3

Hi,

For the most part, I agree with TClune, in that, there is probably not that great a difference between the 2 cameras to rush out and buy the 5100.

My suggestion is to sit down and analyze your photographic interests, what areas, you feel, your equipment is deficient. Or, to put it another way, what would you like to improve and what don't you like about the current system.

You might also look at your current inventory of lenses. An improvement in
lens quality will probably give you a bigger return on your investment. You say you like HDR, you may consider getting a faster lens as a faster lens as well as sharper lens will keep you out of high ISO settings and give you improved low light performance, thus mitigating the need for the D5100 sensor.

You may want to list your current lens inventory. This would give us a clearer picture of your current kit and the areas you might have for possible improvement.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:50 PM   #4

I agree with what has been said. To many times people rush out to buy the latest camera, when another piece of equipment might be a better choice. I still shoot with a D80 and see no reason to upgrade. Instead I bought the Nikon 35mm F1.8 lens and am not sorry I did.

I also invested in a good tripod and if HDR is in your future, it is a must have. It's amazing how my photography improved once I started using a tripod all the time. A tripod not only gives you a rock solid support, but slows down the process, so you have more time to think and compose the picture just the way you want it. Very important, especially in closeup work.

Last edited by bper; Jan 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM.
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:36 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies,
You've made my mind up for me, I'll stay with what I've got..
I must admit to getting itchy fingers every time a new model comes out,I guess that's the whole idea of bringing out new models.
The thing with the higher iso is I try to keep my shots at no more than 1600 if I can, with the use of a tripod. I just wondered how much better the D7000 sensor was compared to the D5000 mainly.
I have a walk about lens as I dont like swapping lenses very much( I used to) because I'm usually on the move and by the time I've set up the tripod and changed a lens as well my subject is a speck on the horizon.So I have the tripod + camera over my shoulder, unless it's raining.
Thanks again.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:47 AM   #6

Default Carrying a tripod in the rain

Sounds like a good plan. One trick I use in the rain with my tripod is I carry a Ziploc bag with me that I can put over my camera while on the tripod and zip it up around the camera. I don't really care if my tripod gets a little wet. It has saved me a number of times as a quick squall has come up and caught me in the open unprepared. Even got caught in a surprise blizzard one time in April.

I also carry one of the small disposable rain coats in my camera bag. Everyone has these little tricks they've learned over the years, usually the hard way - Bruce
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7

Not quite as good but I usually carry a couple of shower caps, the clear ones with elastic in.
Sb400 flash