Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:36 PM   #1

Default Nikon J1 example

Just a quick image from the new Nikon J1. this was taken with the longer lens (30 - 110mm) and I was just a few feet away from the subject, hence the shallow DOF.

The camera gave me a 4MB image, the uploaded image here is just 239kb, so under represents the original which is nicely detailed and crisp.

The camera seems to select a low shutter speed, often 1/30, so to precent shake, I shoot in 'S' mode and select 1/60 to 1/125 for most still subjects. The auto white balance is very good and colours are rich. I bout the two lens set and both are really sharp edge to edge.

I would have preferred the V1 for the EFV but at 250 more plus 130 for a flash unit, I felt that put beyond what I was willing to pay.
Attached Images

Last edited by norm smith; Feb 1, 2012 at 1:39 PM.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:13 AM   #2

nice picture.
i had the oportunity to test out this camera when it first came out and i was impressed by the pictures it took, the problem i have with them is they look like a compact untill you put a lense on, then it ceases to be something you can keep in your pocket and becomes something you carry round in a bag, and personly if ive got to carry a bag around it might as well be my slr
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:29 PM   #3

I also have a DSLR with the standard plus a 70 - 300mm zoom.

I bought the J1 as a 2 lens kit but the J1 and my DSLR are very different beasts. The J1 packs away into a small bag (that I would just about get my DSLR body only into) and is a very good travel option, with the advantage of good IQ.

It is the bigger lens (30 - 110MM OR 300MM equivalent) that is interesting as it is so relatively small and light but adds so much versatility to the package.

I am thinking about getting the adaptor so that I can put my 70 - 300mm VR onto the J1 - the instant AF, crop factor of x2.7 and high shooting rates would make a pretty good wildlife combo.

i sold my P7100 to get this, so that is the kind of slot I see the J1 filling.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:22 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm smith View Post
...The camera gave me a 4MB image, the uploaded image here is just 239kb, so under represents the original which is nicely detailed and crisp.
Norm:

That image is currently 133KB, and it's been recompressed by the forums software with the EXIF data stripped from it.

Are you sure it was just under 239KB?

If an image is larger than 253.9KB, the forums software is going to recompress it and strip out the EXIF Data.

How about the dimensions in pixels?

I see that it's 1024 pixels on it's longest side now. But, was the image you uploaded larger than that?

If the longest side is more than 1024 pixels, the same thing will happen (the forums software will resize and recompress an image and strip out the EXIF data so that it "fits" within the maximum sizes allowed here). You'll see those sizes listed on the management attachment screen that comes up when you use the paperclip icon to attach an image (the maximum allowed sizes are shown on the screen you use to browse and attach images to forum posts here).

IOW, to prevent the forums software from modifying an image (resizing and/or recompressing it, while stripping out the EXIF), the file size must not exceed 253.9KB, and the longest side must not exceed 1024 pixels in length. If it's 260KB or larger in size, or 1025 Pixels or longer on any side, the forums software is going to resize and recompress it (and the algorithms can leave something to be desired).

As long as both the file size and dimensions are within those limits, the forums software should not modify the image. But, if either one of those (file size or dimensions in pixels) exceeds the maximum allowed sizes, the forums software is going to resize and/or recompress the image (and the EXIF in that image tells me the forums software did modify it).

Note the sizes shown on the management attachments screen:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:07 PM   #5

Thanks Jim, I have deleted the original as it was just a snapshot test, but will place another photo within the parameters stated.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:57 AM   #6

if you do get the adaptor, i know its not cheap, ill be interested to see how it performs with the slr lenses, i dont think ive seen any examples taken with that combo yet.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote