Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

36 MP's is....huge. The D800 is a full frame camera. But I wonder what the relationship would be...# of MP's vs sensor size ?

I'm thinking of the Canon G series camera. A few models ago, Canon made the G with something like 14 + MP on it's small sensor. There were concerns about picture quality and Canon made the MP's bigger on a similar sized sensor, on later G series...like my G 12 that has around 10.

I believe there is point where bigger MP's, albeit less number, on a given sensor size will make for better pix. I'm no expert...so I may be off a bit, but that is my understanding.

Then there's the other consideration. The larger sensor size cameras...the medium formats...Mamiya, Hasselblad , Pentax, etc....have around 40 +/- MP's....but on a larger sensor.

I would wonder how a Nikon D800 full frame compares to a modern, digital medium format ?

It will be interesting to see reviews and photo tests of this...what appears to be a wonderful camera for a reasonable price...given the impressive specs ?

I think we are living in a photographic golden era.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:59 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I'm sure this will create quite a lot of talk! What are your thoughts?
I think that many computers will need updating. My laptop will be totally out of the question if I tried to shove that many pixels through it.

The only reason I'd consider it would be for additional reach (pixel density) than my D3s. It would be an expensive answer to that need. Its more likely I'll pick up someone's D300 as they upgrade.

Nikon is on top of their game. Full function AF good through f8, more pixels than nearly anyone will need, great video, and the price hasn't moved much from the prior generation. If that doesn't trip your trigger they have more reasonable pixel count (D4) with speed, high ISO, great video and a buffer that will likely never be reached in real world shooting. Oh, plus mirrorless, plus the D7000, plus likely a D400 soon.

I'll keep the D3s. Its a sweet camera. Its no longer top dog, but that's life.
__________________
Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:49 PM   #13
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
36 MP's is....huge. The D800 is a full frame camera. But I wonder what the relationship would be...# of MP's vs sensor size ?

I'm thinking of the Canon G series camera. A few models ago, Canon made the G with something like 14 + MP on it's small sensor. There were concerns about picture quality and Canon made the MP's bigger on a similar sized sensor, on later G series...like my G 12 that has around 10.

I believe there is point where bigger MP's, albeit less number, on a given sensor size will make for better pix. I'm no expert...so I may be off a bit, but that is my understanding.

Then there's the other consideration. The larger sensor size cameras...the medium formats...Mamiya, Hasselblad , Pentax, etc....have around 40 +/- MP's....but on a larger sensor.

I would wonder how a Nikon D800 full frame compares to a modern, digital medium format ?

It will be interesting to see reviews and photo tests of this...what appears to be a wonderful camera for a reasonable price...given the impressive specs ?

I think we are living in a photographic golden era.
An FX sensor would have to have 300Mp or so before it reached the problematic pixel sizes of the "step too far" P&S cameras.

A comparison with MF is going to be interesting. Lots of factors to consider, but at only 10-20% of the price of MF I bet it's going to get surprisingly close.

Don't forget that MF sensors are not as big as MF film, and are often only 1.5 to 2x the size of FX, smaller in proportion than the difference between FX and DX and about the same as the difference between DX and 4/3. In other words not so much that a couple of generations can't equalise things.

The degree of innovation in the market at the moment is almost unbelievable:
Nikon 1, D4, D800
Canon G1X, D1X
Fuji X10, X100, XPro1
Sony NEX7, A77
Olympus OM-D

Absolutely amazing! If you can't find a camera you like from that list then there's something seriously wrong.
__________________
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:47 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangor,North Wales
Posts: 3,741
Default

Peripatetic- you've just listed my Christmas "wish" list...

I think,however,we're in danger of becoming camera enthusiasts- as opposed to photographers...!

Last edited by SIMON40; Feb 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:56 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I think,however,we're in danger of becoming camera enthusiasts- as opposed to photographers...!
There is also the potential for us to become camera enthusiasts- in addition to photographers...!
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:13 PM   #16
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There is also the potential for us to become camera enthusiasts- in addition to photographers...!
I agree, anyone who has been around for a while will know I'm a 'bit' of a camera/gear enthusiast but that doesn't get in the way of my living, actually it helps as I love the whole area of photography. I will admit that now it is more work than a hobby I can't justify 'toys' just for the sake of them, rather each body, lens, flash etc has to be of real use..... still, there are plenty of toys that will be of use so no complaints!
__________________
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:27 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Not knowing the capabilities and limitations of our tools would certainly make us lesser photographers.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:08 AM   #18
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

Yes, but collecting and testing camera equipment and photography have always been two separate, though related, endeavours. One can be good at one and hopeless at the other. They are both perfectly respectable hobbies for the amateur however, and just because a person is not much good at photography is no reason not to own nice/expensive/interesting/collectable cameras.

I enjoy both parts.
__________________
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:17 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
deadshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hertfordshire UK
Posts: 759
Default

Megapixels megapixels where and when is it going to end?.100 million pixels?? not long ago it was being said that 10 million was the optimum, full frame gives more room for extra but there has to be a point where less is better?? after all bigger and bigger file sizes?.
__________________
D5100 +18-200mVR Nikkor lens.
SB400 Flash, ML-L3 Remote.
SB 700 Flash
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:19 AM   #20
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Megapixels megapixels where and when is it going to end?.100 million pixels?? not long ago it was being said that 10 million was the optimum, full frame gives more room for extra but there has to be a point where less is better?? after all bigger and bigger file sizes?.
It's true, I think they are talking about 75mb file size for RAW on the D800, that's going to take a while to open!
__________________
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.