Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:41 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Nikon D800 Announced

http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/0207_dslr_01.htm

I'm sure this will create quite a lot of talk! What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Mark1616; Feb 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:52 AM   #2

I think it's very interesting:
Canon created the 1dx in response to the d3s
Nikon created the d800 in response to the 5dII.

It will meet the demand of enthusiasts that still demand more pixels. It also illustrates how important video has become in marketing. Sadly, though, it's bad news for action photographers in Nikon. Looks like Nikon is now going the Canon route again by removing the full-frame prosumer DSLR for action (D700). Now, they'll have to wait and see what Nikon does with the d300s replacement.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Administrator

Well... the D800 will still do 4fps shooting full resolution 36MP images (which is pushing a lot of data through the pipeline), and will do 6fps at 15MP in DX mode with a battery grip. That's not too shabby. although it is 2fps slower than the D700 can shoot full frame 12MP images with a battery grip (as the D700 can do 8fps full frame images if you use a battery grip with it).

Yea... it will be interesting to see what Nikon does with future APS-C models. For example, will they use the 24MP APS-C sensor used by Sony in some of it's newer models, or will they go in a different direction using a Nikon developed sensor design (or just stick with the Sony 16MP sensor used in models like the D7000). We'll have to wait to find out.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Administrator

BTW, the 36MP Full Frame sensor in the D800 does appear to be from Sony according to multiple sources publishing information about it (for example, even Thom Hogan states that it's a Sony EXMOR derived sensor, as do a number of other web sites with information about the D800).

So, it will be interesting to see what Sony may announce in the future as replacements for their aging A850 and A900 models. We'll have to wait to find out if they go with an SLT (a.k.a., "Translucent" Mirror) design like the A77 with an EVF, or stick with a more traditional SLR design with a flipping mirror and optical viewfinder.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:44 AM   #5

No mention of support for the XQD Cards, as there was in the announcement of the D4. With a 36MP sensor doing 4 fps, I'd have thought that's a bandwagon they'd have jumped on.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:08 PM   #6

No XQD, just CF and SD. And I'm ordering one
4fps isn't that quick, but, I rarely use high burst mode, so I don't mind.

JohnG, Nikon created D4 in response to the 1dx
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan84 View Post
4fps isn't that quick ...
... but 36 megabytes is big.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:54 PM   #8

The Nikon D800 looks to be an interesting camera... though personally all other things being equal, I prefer better ISO performance and higher DR. So I'd like to get my hands on a 1DX and D800 one and test the difference.

The 1DX's very fast shutter speed and AF will be much appreciated by many photog's @ the Olympics! It will be interesting to research what the professionals will be 'investing in'. And what the prosumers / amateurs might purchase for their hobby / interest.

Looking forward to field reports from all these new products from professionals or skilled amateurs.

Istvan, Nikon did not create the D4 in response to the 1Dx of course.... they had no time to do that

TCav... "36 megaPIXELs" you mean. It's even MORE in megabyes in RAW!.....

Now I'm keeping my eye on a new full frame announcement from Canon, eg 5DMkX or 5DMkIII..... that is expected (as the Nikon D800 was....)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:47 PM   #9

Love what I've read to this point about the D800. All except for the frame rate.

But frankly, I'm tapped out. I've invested more money in gear this year than I have at any point in my life. I'll just have to make do with my now, totally obsolete D7000 along with that cruddy 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens.

I don't honestly know how I'm going to be able get thru the next few months with all the new camera releases about to flood the market.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
TCav... "36 megaPIXELs" you mean. It's even MORE in megabyes in RAW!.....
You're right. Thanks for catching that.