Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Default D5100 filename problem

Hello everyone. I bought about four weeks ago the D5100, after having a Sony DLSR for 3 years. It's a great camera, I love it.
But the last few days, I have a small problem. The filename of the pictures taken by the D5100 is not DSC_0*** but _DSC0***. And also the counter started from start again, after about 400 snaps.
My question is, is it possible to change the camera setting so it will name again correctly the photos???

Thank you in advance.
John
John_F_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Administrator

Hey John:

That sounds like you changed the Color Space from the default sRGB to Adobe RGB. When you do that, Nikon starts the image numbers with an underscore.

Note that if you use Adobe RGB, any application that is not color managed won't display the colors properly (you'll see dull colors instead). Most print labs will also expect images to be using sRGB.

So, unless you have a color managed workflow using color managed applications, and have a wide color gamut monitor (since most LCDs can't display the full Adobe RGB color space), and you're printing your own images with a printer capable of handling a wider color gamut, it's a good idea to stick with the default sRGB Color Space instead.

Although more Internet Browsers are starting to support images tagged with different color spaces, a lot of users won't have color managed browsers and will probably see dull colors if your image is something other than sRGB. So, If you do use Adobe RGB for some reason, it's a good idea to convert the images back to an sRGB color space using an editor before posting them for web viewing or having them printed at a lab.

You'll find a Color Space section in your Shooting Menus.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

As for sequential numbering, if you look in the Custom Settings menu, you'll find a "d3: File Number Sequence" choice. I'd leave it set to On. Then, the camera will start numbering images from the last image taken with a blank card (so that it's not starting over from 0001 again); or will start numbering after the highest number found on the card if the card still has images on it.

See page 162 of the D5100 manual for info about that custom setting:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...2/D5100_EN.pdf
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:39 AM   #4

JimC thank you for the answers.
Yes I changed the sRGB to adobeRGB by mistake. The d3 setting is set to on from the first day and I didn't reset it.
John_F_L is offline   Reply With Quote