Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1

Default D5000 users .Help please

Hi, If you own the D5000 will you do me a favour and try this.
Go into menu and select Shutter release button, AE lock and select "On".
While in Menu select AEL/AEF as the AE button selection.
Then go into Live View and take a pic of something very bright.
Then go straight away without turning LV off and take a pic of something badly lit, after that go back to your bright subject and take a pic of that again.
If your camera is the same as mine you will get ,pic1 well exposed ,pic2 underexposed, pic 3 overexposed.
This pattern will carry on as long as you keep alternating bright dark.
The reason I am asking this is to find out whether or not my camera is faulty. The dealer says no it is normal and at the moment Nikon dont seem to understand the question.
Out of live view there is no problem but in LV it seems as though the camera is using the settings of the previous shot for some reason.
Thanks in advance.
Sb400 flash

Last edited by Eveone; Mar 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM.
Eveone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:27 AM   #2

OK It seems I'm not going to get a reply to this question soooo.
If anyone out there has the D5100 and cares to do the same test, it will at least find out if the problem has been sorted on the next model to the D5000. I am still waiting for Nikon to come up with an answer........
Thanks
Sb400 flash

Last edited by Eveone; Mar 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:35 AM   #3

Hey, sorry, eveone. I usually read through Steve's at work (often just once a day) and so I was going to do this at home and totally forgot. I will try to remember.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:22 AM   #4

I have a D90, not a D5000, butI can tell you that it takes my D90's exposure system some time to catch up when quickly switching between bright and dark scenes. I often shoot in Continuous Drive mode, and frequently find myself photographing a subject that is moving from indoor light to being backlit against an open door, and back to indoor light again. The first one or two shots I get at each lighting transition are exactly what you describe, though subsequent shots are correctly exposed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:00 AM   #5

Thanks Brad.
TCav,
Do you have the shutter release button AEL selected "on"?.That's when I get the problems. Apart from slow focusing I haven't noticed any metering problems if I have the shutter release button AEL selected "off " .
I could leave it off and end of problem but I was wondering if the D5100 had sorted this out. There is nothing in my handbook that says the SRB AEL ON wont work properly in LV. It works fine with LV off as per normal shooting.
Thanks
Sb400 flash
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:34 PM   #6

No, my Shutter-Release Button AE-L is set to Off, the default. The difference between the On and Off settings is that when set to Off, the exposure is locked when the shutter is fully depressed, but when set to On, the exposure is locked when the shutter is depressed halfway, as when you want the camera to lock focus. So if you're taking the time to get the focus locked, the exposure may have been locked well beforehand. Also, in non-'Live View' the D5000 uses a dedicated 420 pixel sensor to meter, but in 'Live View' it uses the image sensor. The image sensor may be slower to react than the D5000's conventional metering sensor.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:43 AM   #7

Thanks for the info TCav,
It certainly seems like we are experiencing the same thing .Although after switching my camera on the first shot is always ok, the second is wrong if I change lighting. Having said that to be fair, so far I have only used LV for static subjects. I imagine the D5100 will be the same.
It certainly makes LV less useful and it's interesting that my old point and shoot never had these problems . I wonder how the Panasonic 4.3rds re act.
Same as the point and shoot I guess.
Sb400 flash
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:39 AM   #8

When using 'Live View', many of the best features of a dSLR are disabled. For instance, dSLRs have Phase Detect autofocus systems which are faster and more accurate than the Contrast Measurement autofocus systems in P&S cameras. When you switch a dSLR to 'Live View', cameras (except for Sony's SLT dSLRs) can't use the Phase Detect AF system, and so rely on Contrast Measurement AF which is slower and less accurate.

It's possible that the D5000 won't release the shutter until it has locked focus. So there may be a lag between when you depress the shutter button halfway (locking the exposure, as a result of the Shutter-Release Button AE-L setting) and when the shutter is finally released after the Contrast Measurement AF has locked focus.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:28 AM   #9

As a matter of interest I have now been contacted by Nikon over this issue.
The result is that they have run tests, hence the delay, and found that the LV + Shutter Release Button AEL ON does cause a problem with LV exposure. So they are forwarding their findings to Nikon Japan to see if a Firmware update can fix it and also to see if this problem can be fixed in the next model to come out.
I'm still a bit amazed that no one at Nikon knew about it until my enquiry.
Still if it gets sorted in the next model D2000? it will be an improvement.
Thanks for all your comments and info.
Sb400 flash
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:11 AM   #10

Cool! I tried to do it last night and got some inconsistency but I don't think my bright and my dark were extreme enough.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote