Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:12 PM   #1

Default Display model D7000 body deal

I am on a waiting list for a new D7000 if it ever comes in. But I just ran across a display model D7000 body at a local electronics for $974. They might even do better. My gut tells me to run- don't walk- away but the price of a brand new one is pretty steep for my budget.

It looks unblemished but who knows. I have seen the way that display models get beaten and abused by careless shoppers and their kids, so I am quite leary of taking the chance, warranty or not. Does anyone have a case for going for it?

Dale
camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:20 PM   #2

I would take some photos with it, to see how they look. Bring a sd card with you and snap a few. That why you see the camera in action and that everything is working properly. Then go home to make sure there is no oil spots. If not it should be okay, and you get the warranty balance. If not the full warranty.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:31 PM   #3

we sell cameras off display all the time and i see no more ex-display cameras coming back than i do new boxed ones, and i deal with the returns so i would know
just make sure you get a full 12months warranty and all the bits are with it (it can be very expensive replacing things like chargers etc), and like shoturtle said have a go with it 1st, also if your worried think about taking an extended 3 or 5 year warranty for piece of mind
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:31 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you! I did check out both the D7000 and the Canon 60D and am now a bit more undecided. Photos did not tell me that much as none of them were very good. (lenses were not great, nor was my skill and control.....) But I did find quite a bit of dirt on the D7000. Not sure if that is a show stopper or not. Also, I struggled with getting the D7000 to take a photo, while the Canon seemed to operate easier. That may very well be my ineptness and not the camera. I tend to struggle with multiple focus points. I typically keep single point on, and recompose so that I know what I am focusing on.

So the jury is still deliberating but the good news is that both felt very good in my small hands. I am sure I will make a decision soon.

Thanks again,

Dale
camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:51 PM   #5

The d7000 will need a good cleaning any good camera service place can do it. But if you feel more comfortable with the 60D layout. That honestly is the better camera for you. Ergo is about even form what you are saying. Both are excellent camera. And you really can not go wrong with either, unless you are like to shoot sports, then the tiny buffer of the d7000 can be a bit of an annoyance.