Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:39 AM   #1

Default Tracking a bird in flight w/D7000+70-200mm

Went to Tigertail this morning, here in Marco Island with the intent of trying to work on tracking birds in flight. The equipment used: D7000 + 70-200mmf2.8VRI + TC-14E Telecon + Carbon Fibre monopod by Velbon.
Settings used:
mode: manual
AF-C singlepoint center
shutter set to continuous Hi
Aperture:f7.1
ISO320
Shutter: 1/1000sec.

I do have to point out that the AF tracking capability of the D7000 is tenacious at staying in focus once locked onto the subject. The trick , for me, is to pan the camera properly when using a monopod. But , other than operator induced error, the AF system of the D7000 does it's job. I am particularly impressed with the ease at which the camera picks up a subject -regardless of the color.

So far, this month there have not been as many shore birds in this particular area as has been in the past. Most of my mornings effort was to take images of
the few wading birds that were present. Finally, did get a chance to take a sequence of a Great Blue Heron flying in to feed;

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Mar 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:51 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nicely done Zig...that 70-200 f2.8 is a glorious piece of glass...I use mine with the 1.4TC as well. Images are nice and crisp!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:03 PM   #3

The last one is truly amazing! I'd buy that...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Very nicely done Zig...that 70-200 f2.8 is a glorious piece of glass...I use mine with the 1.4TC as well. Images are nice and crisp!
Hi,

Thanks. Much appreciate the kind comments. And yes, this particular combination of lens and telecon has a very high fun factor

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
The last one is truly amazing! I'd buy that...
Thank you.

The great Blue Heron has an incredible color palette in the wings. The early morning light really did show off the range of colors about as well as I've ever been able to capture them.

Zig

Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:32 PM   #6

Zig - I had mentioned it a couple times in the forums; if you get the chance, (and if it's still there) visit the pond behind the Lakeside Inn. There were eagles and ospreys there when I visited, as well as loons and an iguana, big painted turtles in the pond. Watch out though for a possible alligator or two.

Beautiful shots.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko170 View Post
Zig - I had mentioned it a couple times in the forums; if you get the chance, (and if it's still there) visit the pond behind the Lakeside Inn. There were eagles and ospreys there when I visited, as well as loons and an iguana, big painted turtles in the pond. Watch out though for a possible alligator or two.

Beautiful shots.
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the heads up. It apparently is still here in Marco on Marco Lake drive. Probably no more then 2 miles away from here we are staying.

Zig

Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:26 PM   #8

Zig, Awe inspiring, I am so happy for you that the new gear is making the kinds & quality of images you've worked so long to perfect. I think you have succeeded.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Zig, Awe inspiring, I am so happy for you that the new gear is making the kinds & quality of images you've worked so long to perfect. I think you have succeeded.
Hey Bob,

Thanks for the very positive reinforcement. While I know that there were many users of Oly bodies and glass that could get great results tracking birds in flight with their equipment, I just wasn't in that group.

At least, this combination works for me. Now, when I get a lousy result, I know it was operator induced.

best regards,

Zig

Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the heads up. It apparently is still here in Marco on Marco Lake drive. Probably no more then 2 miles away from here we are staying.

Zig
There's a couple small side-roads very close by the pond (if it's a lake, it's the smallest lake I've seen) where, if I remember correctly, you could pull over to get some shots. Was a very quiet place also when I was there, and the birds pretty much paid no attention to me. I only had a Canon S1 1S when I was there (was down there for a wedding).
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.

Last edited by Franko170; Mar 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote