Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:01 AM   #1

Default We have take off.

Hi folks

I am am practiceing and some even say trying but here is another shot with the tammy. I know I have a long way to go but at least if I post then I can read where I am going wrong.
Attached Images

John 6:53-55
flasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:29 PM   #2

Hi Flasha,

I tried to 'see' the EXIF data on your photo to determine the settings used. Unfortunately, this data is missing. As a result, I can't tell you what if anything you are doing wrong, or what settings changes might result in a better (sharper) outcome.

The photo is definitely 'soft' from center all the way out to the edge. My guess is that your lens was extended to it longest focal length, which might explain the soft result. Or, you may have simply cropped the image too much, which would also give you about the same result.

Sorry for not being able to properly critique it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:55 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

In addition to Zig's comments, there also appears to be some motion blur perhaps a result of a shutter speed that was too slow. From a composition standpoint, I think there is too much background and too little subject. A tighter crop would be in oirder. Finally, the image could use some straightening. Birds in Flight are tough: to freeze the motion while panning and get a sharp image is a challenge to me.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:08 PM   #4

Hi Zig and Wingman,

I don't know why there is no exit data but at least now I am aware of it.
I use Lr3 and used the publish services section and saved to my hard drive.
I might have to use export instead I guess. The image was 1024 times 1024.
Re image, It was cropped and was fully zoomed out at 300mm and @ f5.6. Iso was 200.
The lens is the tamron 70-300mm.
I bought the lens very cheap brand new.

I thank you both for your feedback and hopefully some images.
The horizon isn't straight which I noticed after I posted but will be more aware in future.

Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:10 PM   #5

I will hopefully post some improved images from what I have learned today.

Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:04 PM   #6

Hello Flasha.

Birds in flight are tough and the camera needs all the help it can get. I would shoot in 'A' mode so that you can select F8, you will get a sharper result than f5.6. I would put the focus onto an area setting and not centre point.

It can be tough shooting against a woodland background (obviously skies are better but the bird is not always so obliging :-) ) because it distracts the cameras AF and also the viewers eye to the final result. But if that is the situation you are faced with then so be it ... such is the nature of wildlife photography.

Finally and perhaps the hardest part is to pan the camera at the same speed as the bird is moving - this can be quite hit and miss even for those who are used to doing it - though a higher shutter speed would help out there.

Looks like a bright day, with the D7000, you could safely use ISO 800 to get f8 and a bit more shutter speed.

I love the water droplets falling from the feet of the bird. I think you are pretty close to getting this right, the background is soft, so looks like your focus was falling on the bird. I would straighten the picture as there are a few horizontal feartures there that are a give-away to a tilted picture. I have to do that to virtually every bird in flight shot I take

Last edited by norm smith; Mar 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:21 AM   #7

Hi Norm,

Thankyou for your comments. I was trying out the lens for the first time. I had it at the largest appature to blur out background but the subject was a bit further than I expected. Crooked yes but didnt notice till after the pic was posted Doh!!!
I did have focus on dynamic 39 from memory but yes will have to practice panning.

Thanks again for the input.