Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:13 PM   #1

Default Nikon D90 - Lens choice

I already own these two lenses:
Nikon AF-S 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6G (kit lens with 200-300 macro)
Sigma DG 70-300mm 1:4-5.6

A few days ago I bought a Nikon 50mm f/1.8G & a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G.

With what I already owned and what I purchased, do the 50mm and 35mm seem redundant? I felt like I needed both but now I'm second guessing myself.

If it helps, I'm trying to work my way into shooting primarily infant photography, engagement shoots, bridals (not weddings at this point), and food photography for blogs.

Thanks!
PlayDohC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:58 AM   #2

Since you have both, my suggestion would be to try them both out and see which you prefer for clarity sharpness and bokeh. Then returning the one you feel offers less in performance

I will say that reviews of the 35mm 1.8 prefer this lens over the 50mm 1.8. It is sharper than the 50mm. The 35mm 1.8G is also a more 'normal' lens on a DX body.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:37 AM   #3

I would say that both the 50/1.8G and the 35/1.8G are pretty good, and the technical benefits of one over the other are less important than the diferences in perspective that you get with the different focal lengths. As I see it, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find out which one is truer to your own vision of what you want your images to look like. That's a lot tougher than picking a lens based solely on its technical characteristics.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:41 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

RE. the 50 mm f/1.8, I tried this lens and opted to switch it for the 50 mm f/1.4 which rendered much sharper images at f/1.4 compared to the the former at f1/8. Since I purchased the lens for low light, I did not see the point in not being able to use the f/1.8 at its widest aperture. Therefore, you might want to consider keeping the 35mm f/1.8 and swapping the 50mm for the f/1.4 version in order to utilize it for low light images as well as to generate images with a more striking bokeh.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:00 AM   #5

i find with 50mm im always walking backwards trying to fit everthing in the frame, because of course on the D90 it is actualy more like a 75mm than a 50mm
for what your describing youll be using it for i think you'd be better off with 35mm, its usually easier to step closer to your subject than back away, especialy indoors
Dave
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:30 PM   #6

Ditch the 50 and get the new 85 1.8G. The 35 is a good general lens that is worth having but the 85 is more suitable for bridal portraits. 85mm is a much more flattering focal length for the female face.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:10 PM   #7

But if the 50mm 1.8 "performs" as a 75mm on the DX body, then would the 85mm not perform as 100mm? Trying to make sure I get what I need. I can't try them both out, because once I open the package it's mine, but I tried them in the store a little. From what I can tell the 85mm 1.8/G runs about $400-$500, which is out of my budget right now. How would the 35mm do for bridals?

Thanks!
PlayDohC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:41 AM   #8

Even on an APS-C sensor you will have facial distortion on closeup bridals. I saw a set the other day in which it was immediately apprent which shots were at about 40mm or below and which ones were shot around 70mm. There is a reason that many professional photographers shoot portraits with a 70-200.

Certainly for bridal portraits the 50 would be better than the 35 and I think I'd be OK shooting female portraits at 50mm. 85 would be ideal IMO if we're talking strictly primes. It forces you to keep that distance that keeps the perspective distortion minimal. It makes the most difference in shots that are torso, upper body or face only. Not as noticeable for full length. I use the 35 a lot for kids, family etc.. but I would not want to do closeup beauty portraits with a 35.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:09 AM   #9

Default Lenses for D90

Hi,

just bought D90 second hand and have these lenses :

Tokina 11-16
Nikon 55-200 VR
Nikkor 35-80mm f/4.0~5.6D ( was part of my old SLR, the F601)

What lens do you recommend to complete the set ?
I was thinking to get a 35mm f/1.8 , as the fastest lens is the Tokina.

I shoot landscapes, family events, my wife ( not a poser at all ), my 2 years old daughter, and I am try to be a bit artistic, with not a great success.

Maybe I should go to photography classes instead of spending money on more lenses...

Any honest advice appreciated
Thanks
ciotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:56 AM   #10

Keep the Nikon 35mm F/1.8G. Sell or trade the Nikon 50mm F/1.8G for the Nikon 85MM F/1.8G. With the other lenses you already have and the 85mm you should be good to go.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote