Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:16 PM   #11

Hi Zig. Those are really nice photos that you bagged on this trip. Have a safe journey home.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:47 PM   #12

Hi Zig,

I will miss your Florada shots, but am looking forward to your New England replacements. You always seem to excell where ever you shoot:-)

I favor your warbler, mainly because I'm partial to the little birds. Its a nice catch!

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:07 PM   #13

Hi Bob/Steven,

Sorry for the tardy response. Finally arrived home yesterday afternoon and pretty much crashed-figuratively.

Thanks for the kind comments as well as the wishes for a safe trip. This was the best trip we've had coming home. We left a day earlier than usual and it paid off as the traffic up north was extremely light in comparison to the last 3yrs.

I have at least 1,000 photographs that I need to muddle thru, so, I've a lot to work on. I'm hoping g to post few more as time allows.

Today is getting everything put away, cleaned up and slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Hi Zig,

I will miss your Florada shots, but am looking forward to your New England replacements. You always seem to excell where ever you shoot:-)

I favor your warbler, mainly because I'm partial to the little birds. Its a nice catch!
Hi Greg,

Ouch, my hat is getting tight as my head is growing again. But the kind words are much appreciated.

As for what birds to shoot, after spending the last month shooting pretty large birds, I'm ready for the change to small song birds which are quite a bit more challenging, and yes, more fun.

Funny though, I met a friend this morning for coffee and to catch up. We both had our cameras with us and decided to go to the Trout Hatchery to see what new birds might have come in.

Sure enough, we were able to see an Osprey dive into one of the trout raceways and stop up a fish. I was unable to catch the moment. I was able to get a few pics of the bird flying when it came back for more.

Darn, the Osprey's beat me back home.

Zig.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:43 PM   #15

You outfit really fits in great with what you're wanting to capture Zig. Those action shots are really top-rate. All of them, actually.

Assuming someday YOU can get back into Fenway....tickets seem to be a little tough to come by, will they let you in with your equipment to shoot?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
You outfit really fits in great with what you're wanting to capture Zig. Those action shots are really top-rate. All of them, actually.

Assuming someday YOU can get back into Fenway....tickets seem to be a little tough to come by, will they let you in with your equipment to shoot?
Hi Greg,

Thanks Greg I really do appreciate your taking the time to look and to comment. As I'm sure you know, the switch to Nikon from Olympus was not an easy change to make. But, once having done it, I must say that I'm having a lot of fun.

As good as the Oly 50-200mm 2.8 lens is, and it is an excellent lens, it cries out for an AF system similar to the one found in the D7000. But, the 70-200mm 2.8VR lens doesn't take a back seat to any lens. Mounted on the D7000, it is simply remarkable and a joy to use.

These days, my kit consists of the D7000 with a TC14E telecom + the 70-200mm 2.8. My camera is always set that way when inside my Lowepro bag.
It fits perfectly. The only thing I add when using that combo is a monopod.

As for the Red Sox and getting the camera into Fenway past security, This kit will never be mistaken for an EP-3 or OMD-5. It is an attention getter. To make matters worse, the hood is huge.

I still have a friend who has a great relationship with many of the Red Sox staff personnel and he got us tickets behind home plate at a spring training game at the new Red Sox facility in Ft. Myers. As I was going thru security with the aforementioned kit, the security guard looked at me and the camera, then asked what lens was on it, my heart sank, as I thought I was just about to be told to go back and leave the camera in the car. Instead, the guard smiled and told me he too had a Nikon D7000 and was lusting after the 70-200mmVR.

It remains to be seen wether I'll be as fortunate when next I go to Fenway.

Zig