Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:55 AM   #1

Default Just got the call. My D7000 is in!

And now I am a little frozen in fear of the what if's. Upgrading from D40 so I should be over the moon. But........

What if it's too much camera and I am overwhelmed?
What if I get worse image quality than my D40 which has been excellent?
What if I spend all that money and am not thrilled?
What if I get oil spots?

Yug!! I hate analysis paralysis.

Somebody, talk me down!!

Dale
camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camalot View Post
And now I am a little frozen in fear of the what if's. Upgrading from D40 so I should be over the moon. But........

What if it's too much camera and I am overwhelmed?
Not very likely. It has more bells & whistles than the D40, but
you don't have to use them unless you want to.

Quote:
What if I get worse image quality than my D40 which has been excellent?
The D40 was and still is an excellent camera. I expect that you
will see some small improvement in image quality when you shoot
in good light and a much bigger improvement in challenging conditions
like low light, fast action.

Quote:
What if I spend all that money and am not thrilled?
We all get 'buyers remorse' from time to time.

Quote:
What if I get oil spots?
Hopefully you won't have any problems. Nikon have had a
lot of bad press over this issue. I expect a camera from new
stock will probably be ok.

Quote:
Somebody, talk me down!!

Dale
Ok. Get a brown paper bag. Breathe slowly and steadily.
Don't panic. Sit by the door and wait for the courier.

I expect that you will be very happy with the new camera.
The D7000 and the Sony and Pentax models based on the
same sensor are all regarded as having the best image quality
available from an APS-C sensor.

Enjoy the new camera. Don't forget to post a few photos.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:28 PM   #3

i would worry about the top 3 it is the fourth one that is the main problem hahaha .

im sure you will love it
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:51 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you. I am going to pick it up Saturday.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:05 PM   #5

Hi,

Congrats on getting a very fine camera. It will provide you with outstanding results, provided you take the time to read the manual, understand how best to get the most out of this wonderful instrument.

It is a very significant upgrade from the D40. And, to get the most out of it, you will want to get comfortable with it's extensive feature set.

Hope you have as much fun with your new camera as I do mine.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:28 PM   #6

Thanks, Zig. Actually I had already downloaded the user's manual to my desk top and started studying a few weeks ago. Some of the features, I never even knew existed on a camera. Very cool! I really do expect to love it, but know that I will have to invest substantial learning time to optimize the output. The store I am buying from gives 4 hours of free instruction that I plan on fully utilizing.

Er.... just one question.... are you typing while driving?? Aren't you traveling 95 north now? Be safe!

Dale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camalot View Post
Thanks, Zig. Actually I had already downloaded the user's manual to my desk top and started studying a few weeks ago. Some of the features, I never even knew existed on a camera. Very cool! I really do expect to love it, but know that I will have to invest substantial learning time to optimize the output. The store I am buying from gives 4 hours of free instruction that I plan on fully utilizing.

Er.... just one question.... are you typing while driving?? Aren't you traveling 95 north now? Be safe!

Dale
HI Dale,

Yes I'm traveling up 95North. But, when I responded to your post, I was sitting in the safety of my hotel room in Savannah Georgia. Right now, I'm sitting at a Hampton Inn in Fredericksburg, VA. We're hoping to get home tomorrow sometime.

As for your D7000. Great job on getting a head start on understanding all the bells and whistles of the D7000. A couple of other things to consider are:
visit the Nikon website and take a look at the various tutorials.

Another book I would recommend highly is 'the D7000 Guide Book' written by Thom Hogan at thomhogan.com. It is a very detailed guide book that explains all the features and recommended settings. It is written by an accomplished photographer-unlike the Nikon Users Manual which is written from the perspective of an engineer.

Before anyone gets offended by my 'engineer' statement, my point is that Hogan explains to you why from a photographic perspective the features are important and how to use them.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:31 PM   #8

I went from a D60 to a D7000. I can say you will not look back. I too loved my D60, which was my first DSLR. The D7000 obviously has all the extra features, resolution, speed and what not. What you don't hear is simply how much more substantial it feels in your hands. It feels like a real camera. I suggest getting a battery grip as well. It feels so much more comfortable in my hand with the grip. I still have the D60, which I have given to my parents, and when I pick it up, it now feels like a toy in my hand. It's hard to explain it I guess until you experience it yourself. It feels so small, plasticky, and light. It's still a great camera, but the D7000 is in another league.
golovemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:42 PM   #9

Thanks again, all.

Golove, ironically, you hit on one of my small concerns over the new body. I actually chose the D40 because of my small hands. I suspect that I won't need a battery grip for quite a while to get the feeling of substance. I did hold the D7k, and am sure I can reach all the buttons conmfortably, so I am confident that the extra size and weight will be managable, but the battery grip might be further down on the shopping list. (unless my husband gets any ideas....;-)....)

Will report in once I get the new baby home and settled in.

Dale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:12 PM   #10

Congratulations! I am sure you will like it. I went from the D40 to the D90 with no problems. And then, last Wednesday...drumroll please...got the D7000 body. Plan to use it tomorrow for leisure shots. Had a couple paid shoots Thursday and Fri but didn't want to use it until felt comfortable with it. Plus, didn't pick up a fresh SD card untl Friday. It is very similar to the D90 which was an easy transition from the D40.

Enjoy, and go out and shoot.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote