Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:46 PM   #1
BDD

Default Hand holding the D800

For D800 owners...how easy is it to get blur in your images hand holding. Not using tripod or any kind of stationary support. Being that this is a 36.6 MP DSLR. Have you had to make sure you shoot faster than a certain shutter speed? Or do you ALWAYS use a tripod (or some inanimate object in the environment) and avoid hand holding it when possible?

Last edited by BDD; Mar 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:52 PM   #2

I can tell you that I know someone that used to use a 10MP dSLR and was accustomed to getting sharp images of fast moving subjects, but when he started using a 16MP dSLR, he had to use a faster shutter speed under the same circumstances to get the same types of sharp images.

If you're going from a 24MP D3x to a 36MP D800, you'll probably have to go through a similar adjustment. If you're going from a 12MP D700 to a 36MP D800, I'd think you'd have a lot of catching up to do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:34 PM   #3
BDD

The D800 isn't for me in many respects. I was just curious to hear from actual owners having had some time with their own D800 in real world use.

I was watching a YouTube clip about the D800. And they even said that in the D800 manual they recommend using Live View (w/ tripod..I assume...). The manual even says that even the motion of the mirror can induce enough vibration to put blur in the image. Is the D800 really that hyper-sensitive?

I do 95% of my photography hand holding my DSLR. If I can avoid lugging around a heavy tripod, finding a place to set it up (assuming you have permission...some places...even in front of a supermarket require permission these days in certain cities...bit paranoid IMHO) I will. Though, of course i can see the benefits and sometimes the need for a tripod.

The D800 is targeted for studio/landscape/portrait photography any how.

Last edited by BDD; Mar 31, 2012 at 7:37 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4

I guess I'm not following the hype surrounding this. I came from a 12mp Olympus E-5 DSLR and that pixel density would equate to a 48mp FX camera. The D7000 has roughly the same density as the D800.

Sure, to get pixel level sharpness (100% view) it requires great glass to resolve the sensor, and hand holding will be less sharp than a tripod, but that is really nothing new... Is it???

There should be little difference printed to the same size for FX sized sensors, and the difference against a DX camera with similar pixel density shoud favor the FX.

What am I not getting right here?

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD View Post
I was watching a YouTube clip about the D800. And they even said that in the D800 manual they recommend using Live View (w/ tripod..I assume...). The manual even says that even the motion of the mirror can induce enough vibration to put blur in the image.
This is not new or exclusive to the D800. It's why MANY dSLRs come with the option to flip the mirror up before the shot is taken so to keep it from shaking the camera. This only applies to longer exposures.

I think too much is being made of "problems" from the D800 such as people questioning whether a lens is going to have enough resolving power and whatnot. The camera on the new Nokia 808 phone has 41 megapixels on a much much smaller sensor and the pics from that look fine.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:29 PM   #6
BDD

brad. I heard about that 41MP Nokia phone. Haven't seen the pics. But I venture to guess no tripod was used. Even if it is much lighter than a D800.

Dunno why there's always so many different views of competing camera's performance during debut time. It was probably the same when the D700 first came on the market.

Some how I've managed to get caught up in the hype and half-truths or exaggerations...again. Review site A said this. Review site B saying the opposite. Etc. Guess we just have to take what is said with a little skepticism.

In any case, I'm still undecided and in no hurry to buy. Earliest will be this Xmas. More than enough time to sift through the reviews and testing. And forum postings.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:45 AM   #7

[QUOTE=TCav;1293418]I can tell you that I know someone that used to use a 10MP dSLR and was accustomed to getting sharp images of fast moving subjects, but when he started using a 16MP dSLR, he had to use a faster shutter speed under the same circumstances to get the same types of sharp images.

Seems like I'll stay with my 12mp D5000 seeing as I dont like lugging a tripod about much.
It was being said that 10 mps was optimum for regular Dslrs not so long ago, this could be one of the reasons.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:58 AM   #8
BDD

I was so hoping to stick with Nikon (I might still do that) but then Nikon decided to go MP crazy and put out a 36.6 MP D800. I would have loved for them to have gone the same route Canon has with their 5D3 (e.g. roughly the same MP & 2 more stops native ISO..or just 1 more stop...12,800...basically a "crippled" D4 in a D700 body...less pro features and of course no built-in portrait grip). I wanted that in a D700 camera body because I plan to bring my next DSLR on my travels as well as my local shooting.

Now it will come down to the 5D3 or the more expensive Nikon D4. I wonder if any one will do a 5D3 vs D4 head-to-head. More fair comparison MP wise, roughly the same native ISO range IMHO...it's just that the D4 has many more pro features w/ built-in portrait grip.

Last edited by BDD; Apr 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:29 AM   #9

BDD ,
Have a look at this http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
the Canon 5D3 & Nikon D4 are there for a side by side comparison.
Not the best tests out there but at least it is a rough guide.
Just keep double clicking on the images and you get to full size.
It looks on my screen as though Canon have gone for more noise reduction sacrificing some colour and sharpness and Nikon have less N.R and kept the colour sharpness and noise.
Usual story.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Apr 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:37 AM   #10
BDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
It looks on my screen as though Canon have gone for more noise reduction sacrificing some colour and sharpness and Nikon have less N.R and kept the colour sharpness and noise.
Usual story.
I think I might need to wait till I'm home where I have a 27" iMac (2560x1440 max) to really see the difference. Right now I'm staying in Los Angeles and using my 15" screen laptop (1366x768 max res). But from what I can see (portions of each photo at ISO 6400 and above...the difference isn't that dramatic. It's not night/day. At least up to 12,800.

Perhaps having a few more MP helps the 5D3 in the detail area (whereas with a 5D3 vs D800 comparison the differences were more obvious...23 MP vs 36 MP).

I think any one would be happy with the 5D3 or the D4. Hobbyist or "pro". The difference is a working photog might benefit more from the D4's list of features vs. the 5D3. As a hobbyist I think the 5D3 will more than suffice. No feelings of "...maybe I should have bought a D4 or 1D-X".