Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Default D5100/D7000 Hot Pixels ??

I have just been looking at this review of the D5100 by THOM.
Quote:-

"Hot Pixel Mama. Hot pixels are fact of life for extended Live View and video work, and for very long exposures in very hot temperatures. Not as bad as my D7000, but close."

Have any of you D5100 /D7000 owners noticed H Ps as a problem? I've not noticed it on my D5000 but I had a H P problems with my D40x and I didn't even have LV.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:18 PM   #2

G'day DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
I have just been looking at this review of the D5100 by THOM. Quote:- "Hot Pixel Mama. Hot pixels are fact of life for extended Live View and video work, and for very long exposures in very hot temperatures. Not as bad as my D7000, but close."

Have any of you D5100 /D7000 owners noticed H Ps as a problem? I've not noticed it on my D5000 but I had a H P problems with my D40x and I didn't even have LV.
I would query the two statements here:- << Hot pixels are fact of life for extended Live View and video work, and for very long exposures in very hot temperatures. >>

My understanding of "Hot pixels" is that they can occur under a variety of circumstances, not merely via those highlighted above

I have had hot pixels occur in both Panasonic & Pentax cameras, neither of which have ever been used for video work, nor in very hot temperatures [although Australia does have days of 50deg C out in the sunshine...]

My experience of hot pixels is during low light exposures, sometimes long exposures [30secs etc] where a red or blue pixel will appear

My overall feeling about them is to ignore them - if/when they appear just clone the spot out of existence

I have samples if you wish to see - not that they're all that exciting
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:03 AM   #3

G'Day O T "me old cobber"
D'ya think I could pass for an Aussie here Blue? :-)
Yes I completely agree but reviews " By Thom " seem to be well respected and I was wondering why he felt it was nescessary to give H Ps a special mention in this review and then to say " not as bad as the D7000 " a camera that everyone seems to rate highly.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:30 PM   #4

G'day DS

Going out on a limb here ...
I do not know of "thom" so presume s/he's some european expert in things
ps- pl remember the ditti about an 'expert'

We here 'downunder' also have our 'experts' in matters-digital, and as I read their pronouncements I often find myself both agreeing sometimes, and dis-agreeing many times

Again - I do not know this 'thom' - but 'experts' who rabbit on about full-frame is the only way to go and 4/3 is rubbish and micro sensors are just a joke [that sort of comment overall] - these people just leave me cold as I know from my experience that their waffle is just that ~ uninformed verbal diarrhea

While this is of little relevance to your end of things - all I can go on here is my direct experiences, and the observations of camera/sensor behaviour from my students' cameras ~ and hot pixels [& noise] turn up a lot more often and in a lot of big-name cameras than is acknowledged in the magazines.

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:46 PM   #5
Administrator

Thom is a very smart guy, and he probably knows as much or more about Nikon cameras and lenses as anyone. ;-)

He's probably written articles and user guides for about every important Nikon Digital Camera made (as well as a number of Nikon film cameras), and has probably sold well over a million copies of his books. Here's his web site:

http://www.bythom.com/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote