Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:49 PM   #11

All,

Here are two of my dark images, both with sun, although not strong sun. Please excuse the composition, I was mostly trying to focus on exposure. I am sure there is plenty I did wrong but I am disappointed it went that far wrong. Fire away with comments. And thanks to each of you who take the time to give advice. I am determined to learn this camera, and all the tidbits of knowledge really help. I am piecing the gaps together little by little.

Thanks,

Dale
Attached Images

camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:50 PM   #12

Oops, I don't see the metadata. Did I goof???
camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:43 AM   #13

Looks like you're on matrix metering and it's keeping the highlights from blowing. Therefore the area in shadow will be dark. If you want areas of shadow to be lighter then either use exposure compensation or spot metering.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:07 AM   #14

well i would have said your using spot metering and its metering in the very centre on a light bit of the fur thus making the rest of the scene darker
but its hard to know without exif
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:58 PM   #15

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

My experience with the Nikon Matrix metering is that it is very forgiving and results in excellent exposures under most conditions. From what I can tell, the images you posted are terribly underexposed in their entirety. While spot metering can result in a well exposed subject and under/overexposed background, even the animal is not properly exposed.

At one time, I found my exposures were mostly dark. I realized that I had inadvertently activated the bracketing mode which happened to be set at 0/-1/-2. As a result every 2nd and 3rd image was dark. Not sure how I stumbled upon the error, but soon had it fixed. You may want to check that setting. FInally, you might want to do a "reset" of the camera to ensure that everything is returned to default settings and try a few test shots in broad daylight.

In the mean time, sorry to hear of your troubles

Jehan

p.s. re. the stripped meta data, if you were attempting to upload a large image via the attachment icon on the forum, I think it resizes the image and strips the EXIF data. You might want to resize the image first (800 pix wide should do it) and then upload the images. This should preserve the EXIF.

Last edited by Wingman; Apr 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:28 AM   #16

I don't know what happened here. If the camera was in matrix metering and the exposure compensation wasn't something like -2, then I think its gone bad and needs repair.

I could see if the background was bright, the camera would under expose the shady part of the cat, but its not what this shows.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:58 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camalot View Post
Oops, I don't see the metadata. Did I goof???
I can tell from the embedded jpeg comment in them that our forums software recompressed those images and stripped out the EXIF metadata.

That happens when you exceed the maximum allowed sizes for attachments.

When you use the Manage Attachments feature (paperclip icon) to insert images, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes on the page you use to browse and upload images.

The longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB.

So, either your file size or the image dimensions exceeded those allowed sizes, causing all metadata to be stripped out, with the images resized and/or recompressed by our forums software.

Most of the time, if you downsize images so that they're within the allowed dimensions (longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter), and use a JPEG compression (Quality) setting of around 80 percent (or around 8 on a 1 to 10 scale) with the image editor you're using, you'll be within the allowed file size, too.

If you exceed the maximum allowed size (for either dimensions or file size), the forums software will still try to let you attach them. But, it will resize and/or recompress the images (and the algorithms leave something to be desired), stripping out any EXIF info.

So, you may want to resize them and repost them again, making sure they're within the maximum allowed sizes so that the metadata is retained. That way, members can look at the EXIF info to try and figure out what went wrong, as things like metering mode, focus point (since focus point is more heavily weighted for metering if matrix is used), exposure compensation settings, color space, contrast settings, tone curve and more can cause issues.

But, chances are, it was something simple like having a -EV setting with exposure compensation, or trying to use spot metering on a brighter area like the white portions of the leopard (which will cause underexposure since it will try to make a white area exposed more like grey, since spot metering should only be used on a neutral area, not a while or dark area ), or doing something like "running out of aperture" (trying to use shutter priority with a shutter speed too fast for the widest available aperture of the lens), etc. There are many things that can go wrong. But, the EXIF will provide some clues as to what happened with those.

As long as you do not exceed the maximum allowed sizes for dimensions or file size, then the forums software will not modify the images.

Here's a screen showing the maximum sizes that you'll see when attaching images here. It's best to stick within those sizes (file size no larger than 253.9KB, longest dimension of 1024 pixels or shorter) to prevent the forums software from modifying your images and stripping out any EXIF info in them (since that can make them appear a bit softer due to the jpeg compression libraries the forums are using).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:29 PM   #18

Default Shutter actuation question

A friend recently sent me a photo taken with a Canon 1100D.
Out of curiosity I looked at it with Photome to look at the Exif data but there was no shutter actuations ,everything else but.
So I opened it up with Opanda same thing again, everything except shutter actuations.
It's no big deal but if I was thinking of buying it I would have liked to check the S/As, which I thought P.Me and Opanda did, provided the exif was there.
Any ideas why the S/As were missing ??
Thanks
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:44 PM   #19
Administrator

Most Canon models do not store shutter actuations in the image metadata.

Keep in mind that those types of things (focus points, shutter actuations, camera specific features, etc.) are not part of the EXIF standards and represent proprietary Maker Notes Data that third party EXIF readers usually have to reverse engineer to interpret anyway (often by taking photos using different settings and looking at the metadata to try and figure out what changed).

Even worse, some manufacturers even encrypt some of the data to try and prevent software vendors from interpreting it. For example, Nikon encrypts the RGB multipliers for the as shot White Balance in metadata stored in .nef files. Fortunately, Eric Hyman (the author of Bibble Pro) and Dave Coffin (the author of dcraw.c) were able to break the encryption algorithms. So now (since Dave Coffin published the algorithms to decrypt it, risking prosecution under the DMCA for that decryption), RAW converters can use that metadata to set the RGB multipliers needed to represent the as shot White Balance when converting .nef files from Nikon models.

So, it's lucky you even get things like focus points or white balance info (since the camera manufacturers do not publish where they store that type of data or how to interpret it, and sometimes try to obscure some of the data to prevent interpretation by third party software as Nikon has done with it's .nef files.

But, you're not going to find Shutter Actuations in the metadata anywhere from those Canon models from what I've seen others report. Canon may have a way to get to it via something stored in EEPROM somewhere. But, they don't put it in the image metadata.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:07 PM   #20

Thanks for the reply Jim, that explains it.
I have looked at S/As on a few Nikons so assumed all manufacturers allowed the same.
After all it is useful when buying a camera to see how many S/As there are .My old D40 was sold to me by a dealer who told me it had never been out of the box.However somewhile later after I found this site, someone told me how to check S/As and I had a look at my first photo taken with the D40 and found it had several hundred shots before on it. I contacted Nikon out of curiosity and they told me that the most I should have had was a few test firings and suggested my camera must have been a demo model to have so many shots on it.
No big deal but still annoying.Incidently that dealer has gone under since.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote