Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:49 PM   #11

^ There would be no choice for those of us who shoot raw since Nikon has no sRAW equivalent.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:11 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Extra MPs are great as long as you have the glass that can resolve to this level, if not then it is just another marketing ploy. Canon were using MP as the big win to Joe Public a while ago, now they've become more sensible and it is Nikons turn to go MP crazy.

A 15mp low noise/high ISO camera would be a great balance for most shooters, the problem is that big numbers sell more easily than trying to explain image quality etc.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Extra MPs are great as long as you have the glass that can resolve to this level,
While I tend to agree with you about megapixel wars I haven't seen any evidence that this glass resolution thing is an issue for any dSLR around. I don't believe that Nikon makes any glass that can't resolve to the level of their cameras.

brad
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:04 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
While I tend to agree with you about megapixel wars I haven't seen any evidence that this glass resolution thing is an issue for any dSLR around. I don't believe that Nikon makes any glass that can't resolve to the level of their cameras.

brad
Pretty much all the lenses someone with the budget for this level camera will be limiting the sensor unless stopped down (and even then won't always get everything out of it). The kit lens that comes with it doesn't have the sharpness, nor does the 55-200 or 70-300 lenses at all settings (especially the long end even stopped down on the latter 2).

There is the other side to the coin, there isn't too much benefit of having lenses that largely out perform a body either, but to just wack loads of pixels into a body and give people the hope of cropping lots or just thinking it will make for a better photo is crazy marketing.

Now, if you buy this body and start putting better Nikon glass on (I do like Nikon pro glass.... shame I shoot Canon!), then you will see the benefits of these pixels.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:41 AM   #15

Like I said, I do agree with you about the increasing number of megapixels jammed onto sensors, especially DX sensors. It is rather amazing though the resolution that Nikon has achieved with the D800. Mind-blowing in fact for those who need it. Just wish they would have saved it for one of their higher-end FX cameras because if I ever am able to purchase a full frame camera it will be the cheapest one and right now that's the 36mp D800. Either that or a D700 but I'm going to want video.

brad

Last edited by DigMe; Apr 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:04 PM   #16

With ever increasing megapixel counts- assuming the glass is of good quality- why bother with a telephoto lens... just crop to your hearts content..lol...!
(without DOF of course...!)

Last edited by SIMON40; Apr 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:28 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Pretty much all the lenses someone with the budget for this level camera will be limiting the sensor unless stopped down (and even then won't always get everything out of it).
Unfortunately, stopping down the aperture a lot using a sensor with photosites that small presents it's own set of problems.

If you look at larger size images (or crop a lot), you'll start to see softer photos due to diffraction once you stop down to more than around f/5.6 with a sensor that has a pixel size of around 4Ám ;-)

See the diffraction calculator on this page. Click on "Advanced", plug in 24 Megapixels using a Camera type of DSLR with a CF of 1.5X (what you get with models like the Nikon D3200, Sony A77, Sony A65 and Sony NEX-7 with 24MP APS-C size sensors), then check the box to calculate the Circle of Confusion based on pixel size and you'll see what I mean. When you stop down to f/8, you'll start seeing problems from diffraction.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hotography.htm

Now, I wouldn't expect the photos to be any worse than what you'd get using a lower resolution sensor at equivalent viewing or print sizes. But, I wouldn't expect to see any significant benefits of the higher resolution if you start stopping down a lot, because the results will be limited by diffraction past around f/5.6 because of the smaller pixels (because you're packing too many of them into an APS-C size sensor). IOW, more than one pixel will be seeing the same thing with the aperture stopped down too much because of the airy disk size, canceling out the benefits of having a higher resolution sensor (limiting the amount of detail it can resolve because you'll be diffraction limited).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote