Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 7, 2012, 8:21 PM   #1

Default Nikon D5100 movie setings?

Hi all,

I just buy Nikon D5100 i dont have experince with him, im intersting what is the best movie setings in what mode i can get best video??

And i like to record from tripod people in moving, dance...?
How to get clean face thanks?

thanks for help
Old May 8, 2012, 9:23 AM   #2

For a lot of movement you'll probably want to select the highest framerate of 30fps and film at 1080p for best quality. I like to shoot at 24fps for a more cinematic look (most hollywood films are shot at 24fps) but for slomo shots or a lot of movement you might consider 60. Try them both out and see what framerate you like the best. They have different looks to them.

I always go to manual mode when I'm shooting dSLR video. If you don't know how to shoot in manual then you might want to educate yourself on that. One important thing to prevent flickering in varying light is you need to set your AE-L/AF-L button on the back to AE Lock in your menu (under the Assign AE-L/AF-L button option). Then right before you start shooting after you've set your exposure and focus press that to lock in the exposure. Otherwise if your background and foreground are of pretty different brightness levels you'll get the flickering. You can see an example of the flickering here where I forgot to hit the lock button. At the very beginning where the first guy is standing on the rock especially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIY9b...1&feature=plcp

That was actually shot with a D5000 but all my comments above were made with the 5100 in mind. You can see the look here created by shooting at 24fps.

To get sharp faces if they are already moving when you start recording then you're going to have to focus manually. It's not that hard with some practice. In fact I love the look of dSLR video at wide apertures and the shifting focus. If they're not already moving then you can focus on them when they're still before they start dancing.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 11:11 AM   #3

Thanks for answer,

I`m beginer i record video on mode A (Aperature) time is auto, manual F, but i im steel beginer do u if i record video on mode P (Program) i get beter quality?

Yes i record in full 30fps and film at 1080p for best quality, i read but i dont know what is cinematic look in 24 fps, how i get that look, only from camera or i must use software?

I use manual focus,
- "One important thing to prevent flickering in varying light is you need to set your AE-L/AF-L button on the back to AE Lock in your menu (under the Assign AE-L/AF-L button option). Then right before you start shooting after you've set your exposure and focus press that to lock in the exposure."
I dont know when i use this i msut activate before start record video?

Thanks if somebody answer me ..
Old May 29, 2012, 3:10 PM   #4

I recommend learning to use M mode.

24fps tends to give a more cinematic look simply because that's what most hollywood films are filmed at as opposed to personal camcorders that typically record at 30 or 60fps.

You can hit the AE-L/AF-L button any time.. even after you start recording.

brad
Old May 30, 2012, 2:23 PM   #5

Yes, if i records in 24fps how i get that cinematic look?
i must use software or?

I like to make music cover on my friend, then i edit with adobe premiere..

becouse im begginer what is the best type for me to record video?
Old May 31, 2012, 9:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindHunter View Post
Yes, if i records in 24fps how i get that cinematic look?
i must use software or?

I like to make music cover on my friend, then i edit with adobe premiere..

becouse im begginer what is the best type for me to record video?
I think we're having a language gap here. Simply recording at 24fps will contribute to having a cinematic look. That's all I was saying.

I do not understand your second question.

brad
Old May 31, 2012, 6:41 PM   #7

Second qustons is beacouse im begginer what to select for record 24 fps or 30 fps?

thanks
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:07 PM   #8

There's no right or wrong. Just a personal decision about the look of your movie. For a slightly more cinematic look try 24fps. For a slightly smoother look or for clips that will be played in slow motion go with 30fps. Try them both out a few times on different projects and see which you like the most. I prefer 24fps with most things for that filmy look.

brad
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:36 PM   #9

Thanks for help i try it