Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:12 AM   #1

Default D300 picture review problem "bush, shrub" on LCD

When I enter the preview mode that happens (after about one hundrets second)

I've tried:

Updating firmware to the newest
2-button reset
Formatting CF card
Changeing to the other CF card (it has pictures from D700 - image preview is wrong as well
Pulling the battery out
Changeing lens
Takeing pictures without lens

The preview mode that shows 4 or more pictures a time works ok.
The problem appears when previewing just one picture
Images downloaded to the computer are OK!

I've tried downloading and installing the firmware again. It's the newest that is possible for my body - D300 (without S)
It didn't work.

The problem appeared after takeing 4 thousand pictures, the body has only 15
The body didn't fall down or sth.

One thing is strange, after takeing few pictures I can review them, separetly, maximise and so on. Just like it was before, when body worked properly.
But when I turn the camera off and on again the problem appears.

Please help
adamtytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:26 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Changeing to the other CF card (it has pictures from D700 - image preview is wrong as well
Cameras usually don't like it when cards have images from a different camera on them.

What happens if you format that other card using the D300's menu choice for format, then try to use it (so that it doesn't have anything on it and has been formatted by the camera you're using it in)? That way, you're using a different card (in case the other one is going bad), and it's been formatted in the camera you're going to use it in, without anything else on it from a different camera model.

Note that when you use some of the playback modes, it's only displaying the thumbnails, not the actual, full size images. So, you may see the thumbnails just fine when the full size images are corrupted (card with errors, corrupted file system, etc.).

Make sure you check the full size images after transferring them to your PC, too. The thumbnails are separate images embedded into the full size images and they can be fine with the full size images are corrupted.

But, I'd make sure you're not just seeing a problem because you're trying to view D700 images on a D300 (which probably won't work, since most cameras are only designed to play the images that they took, not images from a different camera model).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:08 AM   #3

The CF card from D700 is with me for some time, and I could view those images earlier. I've taken about hundred of pictures using that card some time ago. Pictures made with mi D300 and D700 are not possible to view now. (they were earlier)

Pictures downloaded to the computer are fine. I've checked them just a while ago.

I've tried to do what you wrote, formatting the D700 card in my camera. It didn't work. After turning the camera off and on images are just like in the picture in my first post.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:23 AM   #4
Administrator

Not a good sign. How old is the battery in the D300?

Voltage issues can cause odd problems, and sometimes voltage levels start to drop as batteries age.

Sometimes doing something as simple as cleaning contacts can solve it. For example, sometimes I'll rub the battery contacts on a pants leg before inserting a battery back into a camera.

I've seen that approach fix more than one issue in the past, as sometimes oxidation on contacts isn't obvious (they can still look clean, even though current flow is being impacted). I'd also remount the lens a few times (as the friction from doing that can help clean the contacts), and you may have a partial connection inside of a button causing issues with other functions because it didn't release all the way due to wear on the springs. If you have a different lens, try it to make sure the lens isn't drawing too much current causing an issue, too.

I've also replaced older batteries in cameras corrupting images, and that fixed the issues (as again, batteries tend to degrade overtime, where they may not be supplying the voltage the camera needs for some functions).

In any event, for starters, I'd try try to use all switches, dials and buttons, as sometimes a bit of oxidation can build up causing odd issues with cameras. Again, just the friction of contacts rubbing together can help remove any oxidation build up. If you have access to a newer battery, try one in it and see if that solves it (and you may find a store that has a demo camera available that may let you try the battery from it in your camera to see if it's a battery issue).
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:20 AM   #5

Thanks for reply!

I'm not sure how old it is, bo the indicator in the nikon's menu show that the battery condition is good - "0" which means "new"

Cleaning contacts didn't solve the problem. I've scrubbed them with a blade and cleaned using isopropyl alcohol.

I've tried changeing lenses, playing with the buttons and nothing, still the same.

I'll let You know how my problem looks using a different battery
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Administrator

I'd do that (try a different battery) and keep your fingers crossed, and please let us know what you find out, so that other D300 owners with the same symptoms may gain some insight as to what is causing them if a new battery solves it.

Just because a camera's battery indicator looks OK (and that usually only makes sure that voltage levels are within tolerance), doesn't mean it doesn't have issues.

That's because the problems may not show up until the battery is under load (as in reading full size images from the memory card to view them on it's LCD), where available voltage may drop suddenly when the battery is under load (even though the voltage is OK when it's not under load).

The D300 has been out for a while now. For example, I helped take some of the sample images we used in our D300 review on this page (I took all of the images starting with the race car photos after the high ISO samples) and that review was published over 4 years ago in May 2008.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...review-11.html

So, chances are, unless you've replaced it, the battery in your D300 is over 4 years old now (even if you bought the camera more recently, since it's battery was probably originally manufactured much earlier).

After a few years, Lithium Ion batteries degrade and are due for a replacement, and at the 4+ year point (where your battery is probably at now), I'd expect to start seeing some battery related problems.

Now, it's possible you've got a failing component causing the issues. But, I'd suspect a battery or contact issue first, since your symptoms are intermittent and only showing up doing specific tasks, versus a problem that's more indicative of a component failure.

BTW, I see that you just joined the forums here. So, Welcome to Steve's!