Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:43 PM   #1

Default Nikon Counterfeit EN-EL14 batteries - Guide to distinguish them

I'm a proud owner of a Nikon D5100 camera and it uses EN-EL14 batteries. This post is created to help people distinguish a real genuine Nikon battery from a counterfeit when shopping online. Please look at the pictures carefully.

The picture above is a genuine Nikon EN-EL14 battery. The print is thick and sharp.

Fake. Faded print and missing a piece of the 'N' in Nikon. The font is slightly narrow.

If you look closely at the font and compare that to the fist picture on top of this post, you'll notice the the font is narrow here.

Another fake Nikon EN-EL14.

This Packaging is a Genuine Nikon package. The circle hologram located on the Top Right corner is centered. The next picture you'll see a fake box.

This is a counterfeit box. The hologram sticker is printed too high and to the left too much.
breezywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:14 PM   #2

thanks for the info
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:01 AM   #3

Default ebay

I'm just sick of seeing people pay $18 to $30 range thinking they're buying a genuine battery when they're really buying a $4 battery with a 'Nikon' sticker.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:10 PM   #4

the problem is if your buying online they may well have pictures of genuine nikon on the website, but send you a fake, by then its too late because you probly wont get a refund, i would allways buy from a local shop and pay the bit extra for piece of mind.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5

This is good info, I'm going to sticky this at the top. Thanks for sharing.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:24 AM   #6

I'm very grateful for the information Breezywood!

I recently bought a Nikon D5100 kit that came with the battery shown in the picture below. I cannot easily tell whether it's genuine or not by simply looking at its front side, but the back side looks so different to the one in your 2nd picture!

I understand there is no way this battery is genuine but, given I'm quite new to photography, I'd appreciate if you could confirm.

Thanks again guys

Name:  Battery Front & Back - Small.jpg
Views: 28063
Size:  66.9 KB
Bonestruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:04 PM   #7

I contacted Nikon UK Support and according to them this battery may be a genuine Nikon battery, however it does not confirm to the markings one would expect from a European shipment.
This suggests that the camera+lens kit that I bought may actually be a US product, originally destined for sale in the US market.
Bonestruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:09 PM   #8

The front part looks genuine and the back part could be made in a different country. It is possible that after the huge earth quake of July 2011, they moved the battery processing plant to another location and created the new label that you see.

I'd say it's genuine mainly because the Front part is exactly how it should be. The back part has the right font but probably had to rewrite all the information after moving to a new country.(Can't say Made in Japan anymore)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:43 PM   #9

Going back about 4 years, I had some horrible issues with "replacement" Nikon batteries, and I mean horrible. They worked then didn't work. They upset the camera (which was a D80 at the time) and caused the charger to partially fail to charge properly, they had a poor life for ordinary usage. Then it all cleared up as if it never happened when I tied to demonstrate to a Nikon dealer. It all started with my naivity of the situation and buying online, where you can't inspect your product before purchasing. Thay "naivity" was short-lived.. I have never bought anything other than genuine Nikon from a Nikon dealer or outlet.

Give aways as to the fake product are, like above, poor quality of finish,, sometimes stating "For Nikon" or similar,, then the real biggy - the price. If you pay half the cost or less, of a Nikon product, you aint getting the real deal...

Last edited by fewpics; Nov 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM.
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:32 PM   #10

Yep, last year I went cheap and knowing bought one that didn't even claim to be a official Nikon one, but an aftermarket off Amazon and it didn't even work. I was surprised that Amazon allowed that on the market.

However, I DO NOT like it that Nikon fixes it so you can't buy aftermarket but only ones from them. The newer Nikon has some code that doesn't allow aftermarket batteries.

All aftermarket batteries are NOT bad. Maybe they don't get the hours the official Nikon ones do but work great. EXAMPLE: for my Nikon D3, I got the Lenmar DLNEL4 battery from Best Buy for 1/4 the cost of a Official Nikon battery and get about 3/4 the mileage of the Official Nikon one. It did so well, I bought 3 more. Two I have yet to use as two seems to be more than enough. Most of the time I can get through several days of shooting without changing batteries. Cold weather (20 degrees or lower) drains the battery a lot quicker though.

So I'm guessing Nikon didn't like that and since the D3 came up with codes that elimated using aftermarket batteries. I DO NOT LIKE THAT!
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge

Last edited by jack55; Feb 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote