Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1

Default Nikon D7000 VS. Canon 7D

Hello, I've been interested for a while in the Nikon D7000 and the Canon 7D. I like both of the cameras a lot, but I'm finding it hard to choose which one I should get. I will use this mostly for video, as it is cheaper than a camcorder, has a nice low-depth of field, and has a better low light situation.I know that I'll end up spending at least $500 for accesories (dslr rigs, microphones, etc.), which is ok. I've heard some say that the Canon is better than the Nikon for video. It does have 60fps recording which is kind of nice. However the Nikon is a little bit cheaper. (only by a little bit.) which do you recommend? Also, does anyone know if either of these will be replaced by the end of the year? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jacksterlark; Sep 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Jacksterlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:33 AM   #2

As is the case anytime someone is chosing between two different dSLRs, I think your choice should come down to the kind of lens(es) you need for what you want to do.

See Photo Lenses for Video: There is no Free Lunch.

Remember that dSLRs are primarily designed to shoot stills. It will take a newcomer quite a lot of practice to be able to get video that's as good as what he or she would have gotten with a videocamera right out of the box.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
As is the case anytime someone is chosing between two different dSLRs, I think your choice should come down to the kind of lens(es) you need for what you want to do.

See Photo Lenses for Video: There is no Free Lunch.

Remember that dSLRs are primarily designed to shoot stills. It will take a newcomer quite a lot of practice to be able to get video that's as good as what he or she would have gotten with a videocamera right out of the box.
yah, i just can't decide between the two, especially because it could be replaced this year.
Jacksterlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:57 PM   #4

You have been "searching for a while" so how soon do you want to make the move. The reason I am saying that is that Nikon has scheduled a news conference in Dubai on Sept 13th for a new DSLR product launch. It is highly rumored that it will be the introduction of the D600. This is a full frame FX camera rather than the crop sensor of the D7000 or 7d. While actual pricing is unknown, early indication is that it will be priced around what the 7d costs...which would be a phenominal price for a full frame. That would give you 3 to choose from.

As far as replacements of the D7000 and 7d, yes there are rumors of a D7100 and a 7d Mark II, but nothing substantive. However, Nikon did recently reduce the price of the D7000, increasing speculation of sellinf off stock prior to releasing the D7100.

Reality is, no matter what camera you get, it will be replaced. Always something on the horizon. Get the best that is available now, sell it and upgrade in a couple of years as DSLR's tend to maintain value. I use the D7000 for video, friends use the 7d, and they are both excellent cameras. Personally though, I would wait 10 days and see what is being introduced. Availability after introduction is a whole different issue though.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:49 AM   #5

Whatever you do, waiting will just delay your getting started and learning your gear. And if you intend to use a dSLR to shoot view, you'll be better off getting all the experience you can get. As with all dSLR systems, the lenses will cost you more than the camera, do don't worry about a bigger, better, faster coming out any time soon, and jump in with both feet.

And if you really want to get the best dSLR for video, Sony's Alpha series of dSLRs already do better than anybody elses, and that's not likely to change any time soon.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote