Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
Dx OMark lab test have proven that cramming this many pixels onto such a small image sensor creates problems with inadequate light capture due to the pixels being so small. ...
Not so. Compare the SNR 18% and Dynamic Range measurements for the following pairs of cameras:The results for each pair are almost identical.

One of the advances that sensor manufacturers are making that seem to be ignored is that, while the pixel pitch may be going down, some of that decrease is due to reducing the blank space between the photoreceptors, and not necessarily reducing the size of the photoreceptors themselves.

In every instance I've identified above, there's been a 50% increase in the number of photoreceptors, with little if any degradation in performance.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
February 6, 2007! Come on!
Still applies. My D3 blows away my D5100 even though the "newer" camera has more pixels. Big difference between FX and DX.

Pros were doing just fine blowing pictures up to large sizes long before these newer larger megapixels showed up. Still mostly a marketing ploy.
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:40 AM   #33

Everything the critics are talking about ignores some basic advances that were occuring even 5 years ago.
  1. More megapixels means that the errant pixels are smaller, and thus, less obtrusive, so even if there were more of them, they wouldn't be so objectionable.
  2. But there aren't more of them. As manufacturers develop newer image sensors, they also implement more ways to prevent noise from occuring in the first place, and better ways to handle noise when it does occur.
  3. Smaller pixel pitch doesn't necessarily mean smaller photoreceptors. Manufacturers have also been working on ways to use more of the sensor's surface to capture light, and thus, increase the dynamic range of the sensor.
Compare, for instance, DxOMark's measurements for SNR 18% and Dynamic Range for the 6MP D40, the 12MP D5000 and the 16MP D5100. Did image quality go down or up? How about for the 12MP D3, the 24MP D3X, and the 36MP D800?

This article was wrong back when it was written. And in the intervening five and a half years we just have more evidence of how wrong it is.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:12 AM   #34

And as for your D3 versus your D5100, DxOMark confirms your assertion.

... but perhaps some of that difference is because you're comparing a $4,000 body to an $800 body, and a 'Full Frame' body to an 'APS-C' body.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
And as for your D3 versus your D5100, DxOMark confirms your assertion.

... but perhaps some of that difference is because you're comparing a $4,000 body to an $800 body, and a 'Full Frame' body to an 'APS-C' body.
Well, you were the one who was saying the newer DX sensors in the D5200 were better than the older FX sensor cameras. Not exactly true.

Facts of life is with cameras or anything else... you get what you pay for.
I have both FX & DX cameras so I know what each can or cannot do. On the D5200, I really like the tilting LCD screen and video. I have a bad back and it's hard to get down to ground level now, so that feature is very handy sometimes.

D5100 is my backup now, but not for long as I will get the new D4 sometime next year and the D3 will become my backup.
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Well, you were the one who was saying the newer DX sensors in the D5200 were better than the older FX sensor cameras. ...
When did I say that?