Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Default Opinion for First DSLR

I am stuck between a D90 and D3200

Please suggest me a DSLR particularly for Bird photography !!

And also a 70-300 VR lens !!

Whether to go for a Tamron 70-300 VC or Nikon 70-300 VR ??
wrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:40 PM   #2

i have the D90 and the nikon 70-300VR
i find them a great combination, obviously you get your best results from using prime lenses but this lens is a very good one for those on a budget and for those that want the flexability of a zoom.
i bought mine to take pictures at equestian events but i have also used it to take pictures of wildlife as well and ive been very happy with the results.
i dont have many bird in flight pics with this combo but heres one
Attached Images

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 6:57 AM   #3

In my humble opinion, the 70-300mm lens is a lens that is better suited for the medium longer shot. It's an "OK" lens but if you were to buy a DSLR and a 70-300mm lens as your workhorse, you'd miss out on lots of closer shots that a 70+mm lens just wouldn't let you get. I have one and I find that I tend to opt for the 18-200mm for all but the longer range shots. As soon as I have a subject closer than about 30-50 yds or metres, I'd sooner use the 18-200mm and anything under about 20 yds/metres and the 70-300m is just too much zoom.

I get some wonderful shots with the 70-300mm but I'd die of I could get that perfect shot up closer and had the 70-300mm on when something around 30 - 50mm f/l was more appropriate... I've used the 70-300mm at the track at motrocycle racing events. I use it on bikes out on the track and the 18-200mm in the pits.

It really depends on what type of shots you are into, but the 70-300mm range is not a good all-rounder, if indeed that's what you are after in a lens. I had many lenses but seldom used any others so sold them. I kept the 18-200mm VR and the 70-300mm VR. I found that was all I ended up needing... For a first up DSLR the 70-300mm would be a good lens but has its limits,, maybe a lot sooner than you might expect too...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:14 AM   #4

The D3200 has a brand new 24MP sensor, while the D90 has a a fairly old 12MP sensor. That's a big difference, but resolution aside they both perform well with regard to noise, dynamic range and image quality.

The D90 has a built in autofocus motor, while the D3200 doesn't. Most lenses have their own AF motors, so they'll work just fine on the D3200, but some don't, and when the same lens (or equivalent lenses) is available with and without an AF motor, the ones without the motor are generally less expensive.

The Nikon 70-300 VR is a very good lens. The Tamron 70-300 VC is also a very good lens, and it's cheaper.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:31 AM   #5

wrik - a word of caution - you mention primarily birding - you should realize that, even with aps-c sensor, 300mm is extremely short for birding. It can certainly be done - but you need to keep your expectations realistic. A lot depends on the type of birding you're going to do - size of birds, how far away you're shooting etc.

I realize you probably can't afford a 600mm lens - most can't. But, if you plan on birding a lot vs. occasionally you might want to spend some time discussing with other birders on the forum WHO SHOOT WHAT YOU WANT TO SHOOT - regardless of system. That way you can get a realistic idea of what you will be able to accomplish with your initial investment and what you won't.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:35 AM   #6

To follow up on JohnG's excellent advice, you might also check the Wildlife Photos forum here.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:28 PM   #7

that is true, it does feel rarther short at times if your trying to photograph small birds in trees, and the 70-300 nikon doesnt perform very well with any kind of teleconverter, so the long end if deffinatly the max for this lens.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:56 PM   #8

I've used a XX-300mm lens for soaring raptors, and small birds in nearby trees, but I've never had any luck with small BIFs (Birds in Flight.)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
that is true, it does feel rarther short at times if your trying to photograph small birds in trees, and the 70-300 nikon doesnt perform very well with any kind of teleconverter, so the long end if deffinatly the max for this lens.
At the long end, both the 70-300 lenses you're looking at have a maximum aperture of f/5.6. With even just a 1.4X teleconverter, that will become f/8, so it won't AF.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:54 AM   #10

well when i use my 1.4 TC i know in theory it shouldnt AF, but in practice it actualy does with the 70-300 on the D90