Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:44 PM   #1

Default nikon d50 repair help

So, I decided to get one of these old cameras broken off ebay to try to learn some camera repair, and to learn more about the inner workings of digital cameras..that I've never had the pocketbook to try before.

I picked up a couple broken ones for around $50 each that sounded like they would have components in them that would make one complete unit...working d50's sell for around $150...so it sounded like a good deal.

So to cut a long story short..I learned a ton about how digital cameras operated..and did successfully replace the dcdc board in one and gave me a basically fully functional camera.

The only problem I have now is that the thumb dial doesn't seem to control the speed or aperture settings. Nothing I try will make the speed change... Does anyone on this board, perhaps know the relevant pcb to check, or replace? Or know of a message board that might be more aimed at camera repair?

Thanks for any help!
chimera15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:11 PM   #2

No idea sorry...didn't know the D50's still fetched that much! did you check the contacts for the dial were clean?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:05 AM   #3

It appeared to me, that the top part of the camera, and the chip near the dial isn't the one that's effected. I actually ended up getting 3 of these. The culprit appears to be the chip nearer the shutter on the left side... I'm in the process of changing it out with one that I know works. I actually ended up getting 1 of the 3 cameras working(it had a bad shutter that I changed out with one of the other two), but would like to get a second one going, which is the one with this problem. Everything works perfectly on it except the dial... Really strange. At least I know that there is a problem and I wasn't doing something simple incorrect, cause my third d50 is working perfectly.

Yeah, any digital dslr seems to still fetch a pretty good price. They're probably used by students a lot. They're cheaper than a d3000, and actually have a lot better features for a student, and more pro actually still, although the d3000, from a lower range does have a couple things like larger lcd and lens viewer. It's missing the top readout, though, and still has no cool features like live view or movie capabilities. D3000's are going for around $300, and essentially, except for a slightly smaller sensor are basically the same camera functionally.

Also you can use older mechanical auto-focusing lenses with d50's, which is the thing that drew me to them, although with manual lenses you still have to set the speed manually, which sucks, unlike the truly pro Nikons. The d3000 and d3100 won't auto focus the older auto lenses. I have several of the older auto focus lenses from my 35mm nikons..so I always wanted a digital camera that I could use them on.

Last edited by chimera15; Sep 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:57 PM   #4

It wasn't that chip... sigh. I guess I may have a bad logic board on the upper right... Don't get it..it should be good.