Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:07 PM   #1

Default Camera & flash problem

I just recently bought an SB400 external flash for my D90. That's when my problem started. The flash worked great when I tried it out but then, when I actually attempted to use it to take a baby portrait, my camera wouldn't shoot. On the display the F - - was blinking & also the icon for flash. I kept messing with it & finally got a few photos. But today I had the same problem. I took one picture & that was all I got before the camera refused to shoot & the F - - & flash icon began blinking. Now, even with the flash removed, it won't shoot & the F - - is still blinking in the display. I've tried every setting, turned it on & off multiple times, but still am unable to get the camera to work. Any ideas? Is my camera broke? Is the SB400 defective & messed up my camera. I'm stumped.
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:59 PM   #2

My question may be far too juvenile, but I'll ask anyway.

My flash will not work if my shutter speed is higher than 200, unless I hit the high speed flash button on the external flash.

Any chance you're Time Value setting is too high for your flash to function properly?

Second, are you too close to your subject?

My guess is that neither of these is your issue, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Faithfully yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:42 PM   #3

Actually FP, I don't know the answer to your questions as I've not gotten to experiment with it much to find out what works & doesn't work with this speedlight. I think I've found the cause of my problem though. Had to search my D90 manual to find out what a blinking F - - means & it said incompatible lens or no lens. I only have one lens & that's the one that came with my camera. I took the lens off & then put it back on & now the camera is working fine & also working with the speedlight. Really strange issue & don't have a clue why that happened but hopefully the problem is resolved now. I'm so relieved my camera isn't broken. Thanks for your suggestions FP, will keep them in mind if I have other problems with the flash.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:18 PM   #4

DO NOT DO THIS WITH YOUR CAMERA AND LENS UNLESS MORE EXPERIENCED PHOTOGRAPHERS SUPPORT THIS ACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a lens that was not functioning properly. I took it back to the store where I bought it, and I took my camera along.

I told the tech the problem. He took out a white eraser, and rubbed the metal contact points on the lens, to give them a cleaning. He put it back on and the lens has worked perfectly ever since.

Has anyone ever hear of that before? Is it a dangerous thing to do with a lens?

Curiously yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:36 PM   #5

G'day all

@sue - yes the error msg "F---" does signal an incomplete connection between lens & camera ... happens regularly when changing lenses all too quickly [and all SLR camera brands do it]

@fp - yes this is an age old solution ... get a pencil eraser and use it to de-oxidise the electrical contacts > used on PC memory boards, camera memory cards, any electrical terminals that 'might' be operating at less than 100%

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:04 PM   #6

Thanks Ozzie, good to know it's a common occurrence with SLR cameras.Never happened to me before so it's new for me. FP & Ozzie,am keeping the pencil eraser tip just in case. I've done that with cordless phone contact points.