Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:31 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Franko170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 303
Default I'm torn between the D7000 and D600

I currently have a D90. It's served me well but is a little beat up.

Am in the buying market soon. Things have been a little slow in the Nikon camera forums so thought I'd pipe up.

Am leaning toward the D7000. Price, image quality, ergonomics all good. I shoot available light sports though also - indoor volleyball/basketball, night high school football and sometimes night soccer.

I've been scrutinizing photos I've seen of the D7000 at high ISOs. Anything 1600 and below looks great. But I'm not sure I'm satisfied with anything over 3200 noise-wise.

I had the opportunity to shoot some volleyball in a pretty well-lit gym with a D7000 with Nikkor 70-200 VRII 2.8 this past week, for about 10 minutes. I didn't change any settings on the camera, from what the guy who let me borrow it had it on, but he was shooting raw and 4000 ISO, manual exposure at 1/800th of a sec. shutter at 2.8. Image detail is still good, but I thought noise was unacceptable IMO.


Ken Rockwell has been raving about the D600 image quality being as good as the 800, with the great ergonomics much like the D7000, and he shows some high ISO samples also. He claims it's the best Nikon ever. From what I've seen I think I could get acceptable shots with 6400 ISO if I had to, with the right level of noise reduction on the D600. I just couldn't afford to buy any lenses for awhile, and have to put up with a couple old Sigma lenses (70-200 HSM 2.8 and 28-70 2.8) and a couple Nikkors (85 1.8D - I love this lens) and (35-70 3.3-4.5).

So I'm wondering if the D600 is worth twice the money that the D7000 is, in the long run.

Rumors are starting to float about a D7000 replacement, and I could use all my lenses including my DX lenses . . . I know, just jump in. But have read about some believing DX is on the way out . . . this is no minor investment for me. I have to save for quite awhile before buying new equipment.

Here's a hand-held shot at those settings to show noise levels at ISO 4000. I imported the raw photo into Photoshop CS5, adjusted noise levels a bit and of course downsized the photo to fit on the page here. Am I being too picky on noise? Any helpful input appreciated, I don't claim to know anything about shooting in raw.

__________________
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.

Last edited by Franko170; Oct 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

If you can get the image quality you want and need from the D90, the D7000 can only be an improvement. The D600 is better still, but at significant additional cost and the loss of your DX lenses, plus the cost of 'Full Frame' replacements.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:02 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Robert Hanishiro (pro sports tog - does work out of LA for USA Today) did a little write-up on the D600 after shooting a Dodgers night game with it. Basically high ISO performance was great and initial focus acquisition faster than d3s in his opinion. Lots of pixels for cropping. The downside being the fps. In a nutshell that's what you give up with a D600. In every other respect it's a much better low light sports camera than the d7000.

As for being too picky on noise - I think you are. But that's OK - we all have things that bug us. You'll have to decide whether noise levels or FPS are more important to you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 473
Default

A guy over at another forum showed some high ISO hockey pics that he took with it and they looked really good as well. I'm about to pull the trigger on a D600 and the high ISO performance is one of the things I'm really looking forward to over my current D5000. I can't WAIT to see how the results with that + my 70-200 2.8 VRII!

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:49 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Franko170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you can get the image quality you want and need from the D90, the D7000 can only be an improvement. The D600 is better still, but at significant additional cost and the loss of your DX lenses, plus the cost of 'Full Frame' replacements.
My understanding is that there's a 'DX' mode on the D600 where I could shoot at about 10 megapixels without getting the black/crop effect on the sides in the image. Has anyone done something like that? And was the image quality still satisfactory? Does the DX mode come at a loss of range on a DX zoom lens?
__________________
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

If you are already getting 12MP images from your DX lenses with the D90, why would you spend more to get 10MP images with a D600?

The DX mode comes from the fact that DX lenses project a smaller image circle. The 10MP images come from the photoreceptors in the center of the 'Full Frame' sensor.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Franko170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you are already getting 12MP images from your DX lenses with the D90, why would you spend more to get 10MP images with a D600?

The DX mode comes from the fact that DX lenses project a smaller image circle. The 10MP images come from the photoreceptors in the center of the 'Full Frame' sensor.
That would only be when I wanted to use the DX lenses, and the D600 has so much better high ISO performance and image quality than the D90.

As I plan on having the camera for a long time, hoping to add a full frame VR telezoom down the road.

I guess I'm starting to lean toward the D600 for a long-term value.
__________________
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.

Last edited by Franko170; Oct 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

Good luck with it.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:17 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
Default

I can only say, I have not/will not ever regret buying the D600. It's fast getting a reputation (a good one) as thee camera to have in its category and all of a sudden I can see why. I managed to get mine out for its first real tryout last weekend and it will live definitely up to what I want from it. I have the 24-120mm lens on it and once you figure out the settings vs conditions, it will astound you. I can't speak of the D7000 but I can say compared to my D300, it's on another planet altogether, and you know just how good the D300 is under the microscope, don't you..!!!

If you can afford one, get one. I have to say that price may be against the average mans pocket but I believe you ARE getting your moneys worth out of this camera but I think people need to stop comparing it to the D800 because a D800 it is NOT, and it never was designed to be. It simply fills a wide gap between the D800 and anything below it, so fits perfectly into its own niche. It really is capable of some outstanding pictures. I've had mine for only 2 weeks now and I am still on the learning curve but I immediately noticed this camera has the capability and after that initial pain of handing over the money, I am not looking back...

I doubt you will go wrong with a D7000 although I've never owned one, but you most defintely wont go wrong with the D600... A F/F (full frame) sensor does make a difference. It's more, well, just MORE...!!!

You may have to get new lenses for it but that's par for the course. If you want to step up, then you have to take that step. It's no leap of faith, just the next step...

Man that is an awesome shot in your post. The picture is great and the subject is fantastic...

Last edited by fewpics; Oct 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM. Reason: additinal statement...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Franko170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fewpics View Post
I can only say, I have not/will not ever regret buying the D600. It's fast getting a reputation (a good one) as thee camera to have in its category and all of a sudden I can see why. I managed to get mine out for its first real tryout last weekend and it will live definitely up to what I want from it. I have the 24-120mm lens on it and once you figure out the settings vs conditions, it will astound you. I can't speak of the D7000 but I can say compared to my D300, it's on another planet altogether, and you know just how good the D300 is under the microscope, don't you..!!!

If you can afford one, get one. I have to say that price may be against the average mans pocket but I believe you ARE getting your moneys worth out of this camera but I think people need to stop comparing it to the D800 because a D800 it is NOT, and it never was designed to be. It simply fills a wide gap between the D800 and anything below it, so fits perfectly into its own niche. It really is capable of some outstanding pictures. I've had mine for only 2 weeks now and I am still on the learning curve but I immediately noticed this camera has the capability and after that initial pain of handing over the money, I am not looking back...

I doubt you will go wrong with a D7000 although I've never owned one, but you most defintely wont go wrong with the D600... A F/F (full frame) sensor does make a difference. It's more, well, just MORE...!!!

You may have to get new lenses for it but that's par for the course. If you want to step up, then you have to take that step. It's no leap of faith, just the next step...

Man that is an awesome shot in your post. The picture is great and the subject is fantastic...
Thanks, I believe I've made up my mind. Thanks for everyone's input. The D7000 might make more sense short term, but I don't think long term.

And yes she is a very beautiful young lady, and nice person also.
__________________
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.

Last edited by Franko170; Oct 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: I like to edit
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:45 AM.