Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
This is a misunderstanding of what "1440 dpi" in a printer means. A printer prints a dot or it doesn't (let's stick to black & white for this.
No. A printer can print a large dot, or a slightly smaller dot, or a much smaller dot, or a very much smaller dot, or (well, you get the idea) or no dot at all. Plus, (sticking with your B&W example), if available, it can print a black dot or a gray dot or no dot at all. So, even if we stick with a model that accounts for a print head capable of 600 dpi, the size and saturation of each dot provides a much greater effective resolution.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 13, 2013 at 6:48 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
No. A printer can print a large dot, or a slightly smaller dot, or a much smaller dot, or a very much smaller dot, or (well, you get the idea) or no dot at all. Plus, (sticking with your B&W example) it can print a black dot or a gray dot or no dot at all. So, even if we stick with a model that accounts for a print head capable of 600 dpi, the size and saturation of each dot provides a much greater effective resolution.
TCav, I worked in the printing industry a number of years ago. The notion that different sizes can be produced for dots was true in the old analog days of printing. Since printing went digital, that "large" or "small" dot is really nothing other than a clumpng of individual dots of the same small size. BTW, there is a kind of printing called "stochastic" pinting that uses the same size dot and generates a random pattern of the dots to make the image. While it looks very nice, it is limited in resolution because the dots blend together above a certain threshold, and you lose the coherence of the print. This is a limitation of ink. My recollection was that stochastic printing was ineffective above around 1000 dpi. If people decided to create a technology that was more analog like you describe, it would be limited to something below that threashold. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:48 PM   #13

Quote:
All other things being equal, increased resolution only increases image quality.
My D3 12.1 megapixel camera would blow away that D5200.
I blow up mine up to 20 x 30″ and they look GREAT!
Several of my photo's are up at Mt Rainier National Park Paradise store.
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:38 PM   #14

Hey jack55, you will get no argument from me. I know your Nikon D3 will blow the new D5200 away. However, it's not fair to even compare them. You have a full frame super pro DSLR. Your Nikon D3 is probably one of the finest pro DSLR's ever made of any brand. I have seen the incredible image quality that the Nikon D3 can produce. It may only have 12.1 megapixels but I think it proves that more megapixels does not aways equal better image quality.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:55 PM   #15

Very true. My old Canon 40D only had a 10mp sensor and it took a little nicer pic than my E-PL2 which has a higher MP sensor and the 40D was pretty old technology wise. Wish I would have never sold my Canon gear for the E-PL2 but I have to live with what I have although the E-PL2 is not shabby when it comes to IQ. I just liked the Canon better, it was easier to navigate and do what I wanted to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
Hey jack55, you will get no argument from me. I know your Nikon D3 will blow the new D5200 away. However, it's not fair to even compare them. You have a full frame super pro DSLR. Your Nikon D3 is probably one of the finest pro DSLR's ever made of any brand. I have seen the incredible image quality that the Nikon D3 can produce. It may only have 12.1 megapixels but I think it proves that more megapixels does not aways equal better image quality.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Quote:
All other things being equal, increased resolution only increases image quality.
My D3 12.1 megapixel camera would blow away that D5200.
I blow up mine up to 20 x 30″ and they look GREAT!
Several of my photo's are up at Mt Rainier National Park Paradise store.
Ok, first off, between the D3 and the D5200, all other things aren't equal. But let's look at what 5 years has given us.

According to DxOMark, the dynamic range of the D5200 is almost identical to that of the D3. (If you want to pick nits, the D5200 is actually better than the D3 at the lower ISO settings I presume you used when shooting up at Mt. Rainier.) And the D3 only has a 1 stop advantage over the D5200 as far as their Signal-to-Noise Ratios are concerned, and considering that the D5200 can go down to ISO 100 while the D3 only goes down to 200, they would have about the same noise level.

Second, since each of the pixels in the D5200 is 70% the size of the pixels in the D3 (with respect to the size of the final image), it's noise would be less noticable.

So in the final analysis, that $900 D5200 should be able to capture better images than your $4,000 D3.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Very true. My old Canon 40D only had a 10mp sensor and it took a little nicer pic than my E-PL2 which has a higher MP sensor and the 40D was pretty old technology wise. Wish I would have never sold my Canon gear for the E-PL2 but I have to live with what I have although the E-PL2 is not shabby when it comes to IQ. I just liked the Canon better, it was easier to navigate and do what I wanted to do with it.
There are lots of reasons why a 12MP m4/3 camera wouldn't do as well as a 10MP APS-C camera. But considering the intervening 4 years in their manufacturer, it's not surprising that the Oly and the Canon have about the same Signal-to-Noise ratios. That doesn't account for the other shortcomings, however.