Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Hi Zig,

If you want to go FF and your subject is BIF you will need at least a 500mm to have the same reach wit a DX body and 70-200mm + 1.7 TC and that option is very expensive.

DX bodies like the D300s and D7000 have a great AF system and the IQ is great if you don't cross the ISO 800- 1200 barrier.

You will notice the advantages of FF is you shoot in low light and using prime lens.
I think for portraits, weddings, social events FF is a great option but for BIF the crop sensor is a great option.

I have both a D300 and a D700, for travel and BIF I use the D300 and the D700 for events, portraits or for situations when I need a better IQ.

FF is expensive and heavy and DX is light and affordable but I think every system is for different applications.

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo,

You certainly have made a commitment to the Nikon system. At this moment, I'm not going to make any additions to my system. But,
like you, I know I'll add a FF body for landscape, etc. at some point.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 8:58 PM   #12

Hi Zig,

I have been through several camera bodies, starting from the Olympus to Nikon D7000 and now the D800E. I would say the major reason to go FF is for the low light performance. Here is a picture took at a foot ball game at ISO 6400. I can never image any other camera bodies would show so much details at this ISO level.
Attached Images

D800E/MB-D12 D7000/MB-D11 | 18-200 VRII | 35 1.8G | 85 1.8D | 70-200 VRII | 105 2.8G VR | 24-120 4VR | 300 4AF-S | TC-14EII | SB-700 | Sigma 150 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 150-500 | Tokina 11-16 2.8 | Rokinon 85 1.4

Last edited by jacobt; Nov 23, 2012 at 9:03 PM.
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 3:58 AM   #13

One of the benefits of a high resolution image sensor is that the individual errant pixels are smaller, and therefore less conspicuous, so they have less impact on image quality. That is not to say that a 'Full Frame' sensor doesn't perform better than an 'APS-C' sensor. I'm just saying that there's more to it.

Plus, in your case, there's that whole 'no anti-aliasing filter' thing.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:19 AM   #14

Just another thought on the subject. I keep thinking of what you're saying and seeing you already have the 7000 you're spot on.
But, if I get the 600 kit with 2 lenses with full frame and several bazillion mega pixels. I've forgotten the numbers and I'm sitting on a beach at the south end of Baja. (Had to get that in...) It's got to be easier and better for me to crop what I want in the computer rather than shoot in DX format at a 'mere' 10 MP and I'd still get more of those little tiny buggers in my frame. Plus I'd get a wider range ISO. (as jacobt mentions)

Perhaps I'm not thinking it through correctly, too much sun on the brain but the logic is there, based on the package price.

Last edited by Scouse; Nov 28, 2012 at 8:23 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Just another thought on the subject. I keep thinking of what you're saying and seeing you already have the 7000 you're spot on.
But, if I get the 600 kit with 2 lenses with full frame and several bazillion mega pixels. I've forgotten the numbers and I'm sitting on a beach at the south end of Baja. (Had to get that in...) It's got to be easier and better for me to crop what I want in the computer rather than shoot in DX format at a 'mere' 10 MP and I'd still get more of those little tiny buggers in my frame. Plus I'd get a wider range ISO. (as jacobt mentions)

Perhaps I'm not thinking it through correctly, too much sun on the brain but the logic is there, based on the package price.
Hi Ken,

I know it's hard to do any serious thinking in between sips of your favorite tropical punch, while toasting your brain under the Baja sun, but to be clear, the 10mp you mention in DX is relative to using DX lens on a D600. The D7000, on the other hand, has a 16mp sensor.

As for cropping, yes, the sensor on the D600 is larger and is packed with more pixels, thus the pixels are smaller giving you the benefit of being able to crop more without suffering any significant increase in noise.

When you do get the D600, you'll be blown away by the huge improvement of image quality over the E-500.

And for god's sake's get under a sun umbrella....
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ken,

I know it's hard to do any serious thinking in between sips of your favorite tropical punch, while toasting your brain under the Baja sun, but to be clear, the 10mp you mention in DX is relative to using DX lens on a D600. The D7000, on the other hand, has a 16mp sensor.
Yeh, that's what I meant too, just before my first pina colada. Something about coconut and rum..
Quote:
As for cropping, yes, the sensor on the D600 is larger and is packed with more pixels, thus the pixels are smaller giving you the benefit of being able to crop more without suffering any significant increase in noise.
That too!
Quote:
When you do get the D600, you'll be blown away by the huge improvement of image quality over the E-500.

And for god's sake's get under a sun umbrella....
Zig
Good words to live by Zig, been on the lounger under the shade umbrella watching for whales, between sips and book chapters.

Dos mas por favor senor...!

Last edited by Scouse; Nov 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:05 PM   #17

Shooting the image in a DX 10mp crop mode or cropping it later to 10mp's will give
you the same exact final image, no difference...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
Shooting the image in a DX 10mp crop mode or cropping it later to 10mp's will give
you the same exact final image, no difference...
Actually - cropping later is better because then you get to adjust the framing easier. I never really understood the whole DX mode - people buying that price point of camera are going to be post processing their images - which means cropping. Perhaps someone more familiar can help me, but I really don't see a benefit to any type of in-camera cropping.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:28 AM   #19

I'm with you here John. I try and compose best I can in the camera but cropping is part of PP. Especially with the amount of pixels the 600 claims to have.
Question: Is the ISO any different between FF and DX.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Actually - cropping later is better because then you get to adjust the framing easier. I never really understood the whole DX mode - people buying that price point of camera are going to be post processing their images - which means cropping. Perhaps someone more familiar can help me, but I really don't see a benefit to any type of in-camera cropping.
Depends on what kind of photography you do... If you shoot BIF's or fast
paced sports then crop mode (depending on the camera) can give you more
frames/sec...

I believe the D800, for example, only gives 4fps in FF (36mp) but that
increases to 5fps in DX crop mode (15.3mp). For some photog's this is
important and comes with the added advantage of the higher dynamic
range and ISO performance that the D800 sensor is fast becoming known
for...

It's not for everyone but some find crop mode useful for different reasons...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 29, 2012 at 8:09 AM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote