Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
And I'm not quite convinced that I need to go FF yet
I'm convinced that you shouldn't go 'Full Frame'. In fact, considering that you downsample everything to 1600x1067, APS-C might be overkill. You just need a dSLR for the superior lenses. It seems to me that the key to your success there is in the postprocessing.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:06 PM   #22

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'm convinced that you shouldn't go 'Full Frame'. In fact, considering that you downsample everything to 1600x1067, APS-C might be overkill. You just need a dSLR for the superior lenses. It seems to me that the key to your success there is in the postprocessing.
TCav: Based on my publishings on a.net, I have had requests for the full size files. Most commerical inquiries are for an image that can print 8x10 at 300 dpi.

While I upload to a.net at 1200-1600 pix, I save the originals to suit customer requirements. I think a FF will serve me well here even better than an APS-C. However, since I don't make enough sales to quit my day job, it seems my desire for a FF would be a want more than a need.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:18 PM   #23

8x10 at 300 dpi is 2400x3000. Your D300s can handle that.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Jehan,

...if you decide to try shooting in RAW,.

Zig
Zig,

So I played around with using RAW for a recent session. ISO 200 on a bright sunny afternoon. And I used ACR that came with PSE 11 (i.e. latest available version).
This one was rejected by the screeners at airliners.net for the sky being grainy. I think I see some graininess in the sky above the aircraft.I applied some NR to the sky and submitted for another screening.

This image however was accepted. It was taken within 30 minutes of the first image. Not sure what to make of it all.

Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
... Not sure what to make of it all.
I know what to make of it, but I'll spare you.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:19 PM   #26

Can you correlate the acceptance of your photos by AIRLINERS.NET to the presence of trees in the image?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:11 PM   #27

Wingman - you have a human being using arbitrary criteria on an image to determine if it is "good enough". Why are you surprised that the criteria is not consistently applied? Especially with regard to "sharpness" and "acceptable noise" - those are completely subjective criteria.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:29 PM   #28

Quote:
I know what to make of it, but I'll spare you.
Oh...go ahead and indulge me. PM me.

Quote:
Can you correlate the acceptance of your photos by AIRLINERS.NET to the presence of trees in the image?
Can't see a strong correlation between acceptance rate and presence of trees or other objects in the image. I know however that more common paint schemes are subject to a higher standard because they are "common". Less common pain schemes (for e.g. the Sunwing Charter) may be subject to less harsh standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Wingman - you have a human being using arbitrary criteria on an image to determine if it is "good enough". Why are you surprised that the criteria is not consistently applied? Especially with regard to "sharpness" and "acceptable noise" - those are completely subjective criteria.
John, Couldn't agree with you more. However, I've found that airliners is pretty consistent in their screeners' judgements. For e.g. when I have appealed rejections to the head screeners, I've had may be 1 in 10 overturned.

I guess, I try to understand the nature of the feedback from rejections and try to avoid images that are likely to be rejected. I also heard that the screeners use premium monitors (unlike my $250 Dell 24" LCD). I'm guessing they see a whole lot more detail than I do. In spite of all of that, some days it does feel like a crap shoot

Jehan