Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:09 AM   #21

Zig-123,

3- High shutter speeds require lots of light. In the morning, when birds are most active proper light isn't always there requiring a boost in ISO settings.
I typically use the ISO sensitivity control to: ON with a maximum ISO set to 1600 and the minimum set to 100. I then, set my minimum shutter speed to 1/640sec. The reason I set the minimum shutter speed that low is to allow the camera to automatically reduce the ISO when I'm trying to shoot shore birds that are wading. In those situations, you can get away with slower shutter speeds. This also means that I don't have to waste time adjusting my settings.

I dont know if the D7000 is different but the with D5100 if I use the auto iso and say set the max iso to 1600 and the min shutter speed to ie 1/100 ,what happens is if it's nescessary it will push the iso up all the way to 1600 but wont exceed it, then to acheive correct exposure it will go as slow as nescessary ie to 1/25th, ignoring the 1/100th set. I found this out this year taking some low light shots in the Notre Dam Cathedral in Paris. I set it to iso3200 max and 1/60th min thinking it would pretty well cover all I needed but it took my shutter speed down to 1/5, it caught me by surprise .I checked out my Grandsons D5000 and that did the same but it had never needed to when I had owned it.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Zig-123,

3- High shutter speeds require lots of light. In the morning, when birds are most active proper light isn't always there requiring a boost in ISO settings.
I typically use the ISO sensitivity control to: ON with a maximum ISO set to 1600 and the minimum set to 100. I then, set my minimum shutter speed to 1/640sec. The reason I set the minimum shutter speed that low is to allow the camera to automatically reduce the ISO when I'm trying to shoot shore birds that are wading. In those situations, you can get away with slower shutter speeds. This also means that I don't have to waste time adjusting my settings.

I dont know if the D7000 is different but the with D5100 if I use the auto iso and say set the max iso to 1600 and the min shutter speed to ie 1/100 ,what happens is if it's nescessary it will push the iso up all the way to 1600 but wont exceed it, then to acheive correct exposure it will go as slow as nescessary ie to 1/25th, ignoring the 1/100th set. I found this out this year taking some low light shots in the Notre Dam Cathedral in Paris. I set it to iso3200 max and 1/60th min thinking it would pretty well cover all I needed but it took my shutter speed down to 1/5, it caught me by surprise .I checked out my Grandsons D5000 and that did the same but it had never needed to when I had owned it.
Hi,

I may have neglected to point out that I shoot in manual mode. The only time I stray is when I am using a flash for portrait photography.

In manual mode, I've never experienced what you've described.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:03 PM   #23

The Minimum shutter speed in the ISO Sensitivity Auto Control is only when using P or A exposure modes. When you select an aperture in A mode, or let the camera select an aperture in P mode, the ISO will be at the minimum value, and the camera will select slower and slower shutter speeds as conditions require, until it reaches the Minimum shutter speed you've selected. When it reaches that Minimum shutter speed , it starts to increase the ISO as conditions require, until it reaches the Maximum sensitivity you've selected.IF conditions continue to worsen, then and only then will the camera select a shutter speed slower than the Minimum shutter speed you've selected.

I generally select an aperture that will give me the sharpest image with the least DoF, I set the Maximum sensitivity to 1600 (like you), and I set the Minimum shutter speed at a value that is likely to prevent motion blur due to camera shake based on the focal length of the lens I'm using. In this way, I get the sharpest images with the DOF I want, without too much noise, and avoiding motion blur due to camera shake, as conditions permit.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:29 PM   #24

T.Cav
Yes I was using A priority for the reason you give T Cav F7 or F8 ish.You have described what I found more eloquently than I.
Zig-123
Not tried it in Manual I admit. The problem I encounter is usually I am with others, i.e the wife etc and speed is essential owing to the fact that they keep walking whilst I'm changing settings and has often caused a lot of searching around looking for each other.
It's all part of being an arteest I guess :-)
Many many years ago we were in Majorca facing a beautiful mountain scene, I told my wife to stand over there in a perfect position, set my tripod up, placed the camera on it, set the A and S speed manually, looked through the camera and there she was a speck in the distance.lol! I still took the shot, her answer was that "I was spoiling a beautiful walk ". I've learn't a lot since then but speed is still of the essence.
She's lovely really and we've been married 55 yrs.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:35 PM   #25

T.Cav,
I could find this out by experiment I guess but what happens in Auto ISO in S mode, does it just push the iso to the limit you set then under expose if you go too dark for your shutter speed?
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
T.Cav,
I could find this out by experiment I guess but what happens in Auto ISO in S mode, does it just push the iso to the limit you set then under expose if you go too dark for your shutter speed?

Exactly. In S mode, you select the shutter speed and the camera selects the aperture. If the aperture can't be made any larger, it starts increasing the ISO.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:58 PM   #27

Thanks for the info. I suppose having not had any problems in Auto ISO (prior to Notre Dam) and usually have it's parameters fairly well apart I just took it for granted, without testing it's workings.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod