Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 11, 2004, 6:07 PM   #1

Default UPDATE: Finally bought the D100!!!

For those of you who followed my quest and helped me with my analysis of the RIGHT digital camera, beginning on this Nikon site December 11, but on other sites before that, I bought the D100 in January. WHAT A GREAT CAMERA!!!

I'm 51 years old but you would have thought I was 12. I couldn't put the camera down for weeks, and when I did, I had to pick it up again. I played with every setting, read the manual from cover to cover numerous times, and took many, many pictues. If you recall, I wanted this camera mostly for action photos of my sons middle school and high school football and lacrosse teams. I went out a few weeks ago to practice on the boys and girls soccers teams. If I got great pictures with my Minolta 7i... move over Ansel Adams! This camera is SO fast and responive. Pictures were sharp. Even waiting for a shot on goal before I put the camera to my eye I was able to get focused and get a clear shot.

The only lens I have right now is the Nikkor 28-200mm. It seems just fine, but I'm toying with ordering the 180mm lens. With the multiplier effect it's 270mm and will be easier to handle, size and weight wise, than the 80-200mm. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'll have an even better feel for the camera when lacrosse season starts in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you all posted!

Jeff
Jeff Mirkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:40 PM   #2

Congrats Jeff I hope you have fun with it.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 3:24 AM   #3

Congrats on your purchase, the D100 sure is a nice camera Next comes the lens collecting Bodies may come and go, but lenses stay with you for a very long time.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 7:50 PM   #4

Default New Lenses

So what do you think about the Nikkor 180mm ED-IF AF lens? Is it alot sharper than the 28-200mm I'm using now? People talk about the 70-200mm or 80-200mm. They have more flexibility than the 180mm but they are so much bigger and heavier. I don't want to have to use a monopod to stabilize the lens. The 180mm gives me an effective 270mm lens.

Any advice will be welcomed.

Jeff
Jeff Mirkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:11 AM   #5

:P
I have had my D100 since late August 2003, and I feel the same way.

One of the best consumer purchases I have ever made outside of my PC.

I was the unofficial official photographer for the family during my cousin's baby's baptism, and the results were great.

One lens that I recommend for general-purpose is the Nikkor 24-85MM F 3.5/4.5 ED AF-S zoom. It focuses very quietly, and the images are quite sharp.

-Moneybagzz
:twisted:
moneybagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:29 AM   #6

Jeff, I can thoroughly recommend the AF 28-105 and the 70-200 VR with the D100. Yes, the later is a little heavy but the results are great.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 3:50 PM   #7

Default D100

Dear Jeff Mirkin,

I'm waiting for the D70.

I read you post and you were going to change my mind. But as an amateur I think D70 is better. It has easy modes for me. :?
I wish you will be happy with you new baby.
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:37 PM   #8

Jeff Let see Some Pics!!!!
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:06 AM   #9

The new Fuji S3 pro is a perfect candidate for me with my existing Nikon collection of lenses. I'm looking forward to get it when it's available . I've sold my Rebel kits, not because it's bad or anything, it's great camera, but I need to utitilze those high speed Nikon lenses. Still keep the 10D.

Congratulation on the purchase of the D100...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:16 PM   #10

Congrats on your new D-100! I've had mine since November; havn't touched my N-80s since! The lens I use the most is a Nikor 24-85 2.8 with the 18-35 comming 9n 2nd. Have fun!!
bgpro611 is offline   Reply With Quote