Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:31 AM   #11

Hey Zig

Some nice advice there esp with regards to why the D7000 is the better cam of the two. Surprisingly, the company that shoots most the marathon's for the runners was supplying all of their photographers D90s.

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Zig

Some nice advice there esp with regards to why the D7000 is the better cam of the two. Surprisingly, the company that shoots most the marathon's for the runners was supplying all of their photographers D90s.

Cheers

HArj
Hi Harj,

My suspicion is that Nikon's giving them a special price on D90s that are still in inventory that Nikon would like to move.

The D90 is a perfectly capable camera and for photographing runners, things moving laterally or more predictably, it is a very fine performer. The AF system of the D7000 is better for birds or subjects moving erratically.

That of course is my opinion.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:12 AM   #13

I got to reading this thread, and looked at the offers for the D7000 ($300 off) just about anywhere including directly from Nikon. I was seriously tempted to order one. I will concede that it is definitely a better camera for all the reasons listed and probably others as well. I have a D90 and a D40, and as you might expect that D40 just sits in the bag month after month. The battery runs down with no use. But I pulled it out over the weekend and took a few pictures. I was so impressed with the results that I decided that I don't need a new camera. The two that I have do everything I need. Yes, I know, the D7000 has a new sensor, more megapixels, greater dynamic range, faster burst speeds, higher ISO, better built, and the list goes on. But when I have two cameras that both meet my needs all that better stuff doesn't matter.

You can go ahead and gang up on me and tell me that I'm not demanding enough. And I'm not going to post any pictures to prove my point because my pictures aren't that great. And buying a D7000 isn't going to change that. If I ever get to the point that one of these cameras don't meet my needs, I might think about getting something different. But not now.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:43 PM   #14

That makes perfect sense to me.

I hope you realize that, if many more people start thinking like us, it could mean the end of capitalism.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:04 PM   #15

well ive just took advantage of the drop in price and bought myself a D7000 as an upgrade from my D90 and all can say is its the only camera i will i ever need.
unfortunatly though its not the only camera i will ever want

the d90 is an amazing camera it just had a few little things that annoyed me personaly, like 1/60 flash sync speed, things that most people wouldnt be bothered with, if it wasnt for the low price just now though and the fact theyre getting hard to find i wouldnt have bothered.
should i have waited for the D7000 replacement ? what and pay top price? not a chance
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphess View Post
I got to reading this thread, and looked at the offers for the D7000 ($300 off) just about anywhere including directly from Nikon. I was seriously tempted to order one. I will concede that it is definitely a better camera for all the reasons listed and probably others as well. I have a D90 and a D40, and as you might expect that D40 just sits in the bag month after month. The battery runs down with no use. But I pulled it out over the weekend and took a few pictures. I was so impressed with the results that I decided that I don't need a new camera. The two that I have do everything I need. Yes, I know, the D7000 has a new sensor, more megapixels, greater dynamic range, faster burst speeds, higher ISO, better built, and the list goes on. But when I have two cameras that both meet my needs all that better stuff doesn't matter.

You can go ahead and gang up on me and tell me that I'm not demanding enough. And I'm not going to post any pictures to prove my point because my pictures aren't that great. And buying a D7000 isn't going to change that. If I ever get to the point that one of these cameras don't meet my needs, I might think about getting something different. But not now.

Your logic makes perfect sense to me. My belief has always been "the right tool for the right job". If the equipment you have meets your needs, than it is the right tool.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:27 PM   #17

Hi guys,
Just received the 7000 and 150 500 a couple days ago. Haven't had much chance to use it, we have had absolutely no sun, snow every day since I got it, and to be honest I had no clue where to even start with it.
Took some shots on stationary items here and there, read an enormous amount on choosing settings and found a couple videos that were very helpful. Bottom line is it's a like getting a car loaded with all the goodies that you've never used before. I had a bit of trial and error, especially where focus came into play, and at this point I'm using manual mode to get accustomed to moving and working with the settings.
As I mentioned no sun which is not good for the 150 500 but I was going to town and saw a lab in a field. I stuck the camera out the window but didn't get a chance to shut off the car before he ran straight at me. I took a couple shots at around 30 to 40 feet and left.
Settings were 1/500 F8 and around 1000 ISO
Even though the shot was rushed in low light I can see this camera has possibilities. Shot was cropped.
Can't wait for a sunny day to see what this thing can really do.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:26 AM   #18

I've hypothesized thusly: lenses are a mature technology. Electronics and software/firmware are still progressing at a significant pace, often in ways that aren't so obvious. The megapixels on newer cameras are overkill, but I expect there are improvements in sensors beyond the pixel count. Electronics manufacturers are learning to make better and more consistent product all the time. DSP processing in "Exceed 3" is improved over "Exceed 2", etc. The guys who write that software/firmware are constantly tweaking, and I expect there are subtle improvements in image quality to be gained. This is how I rationalized buying a new D3200 over a used D50 or D70. I'm thinking now I should have probably gone with a refurb D5100 for the slightly lower noise floor at high-iso, but it's really six of one, half dozen of the other against other features.

I don't have any hard data to back this up, which is why I call it opinion or hypothesis.
Nikon D200 and D3200 at present
SmokinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
... I'm thinking now I should have probably gone with a refurb D5100 for the slightly lower noise floor at high-iso, ...
Not so. The D5100 and the D3200 both have very similar signal-to-noise ratios at all ISO settings. In addition, due to the D3200's higher resolution, the individual errant pixels are less noticable, so the image quality of the D3200 is superior to the D5100.

That is, unless you're pixel peeping, in which case they're very similar.

But otherwise, I very much agree with your "hypothesis".
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:19 AM   #20

so today i sent my D7000 back, it was the focus, just not quite right, it was bugging me so i tried my 50mm which has allways been a great lens on my D90 only to find it back focused a little bit, not to worry i thought ill just use focus adjust, well i did manage to get it much better, it was looking good and i was happy again, right up untill i took some identical comparison shots using my D90, when i looked side by side the D90 shots were much sharper at the point of focus, so maybe i should have been more patient and tweaked a bit more, but i checked and i was still in the window to return it, so i did, there was no option to choose a replacement, only a refund.
not sure now whether i should get another or not, they arnt that easy to find from reputable dealers just now so it looks like ill be hanging on to my D90 for now
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote